Starting my Own Agency

timeflies

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I am a seasoned Medicare agent having worked in the business for over 10 years. I am interested in starting my own agency where I would recruit agents and receive overrides for their sales. Where is the best place to start?

I am a seasoned Medicare agent having worked in the business for over 10 years. I am interested in starting my own agency where I would recruit agents and receive overrides for their sales. Where is the best place to start?

The best place to start is coming up with a value proposition as to why an agent would want to work with you. What are you going to bring to the table? Street level contracts are a dime a dozen. And with a little production, an agent can get higher than street. So just offering contracts won't do much in the way of recruiting agents.

The only incentive that really exists for someone to give up points to you is for you to provide them with continual, on-going, high-quality leads along with support. They can teach themselves or getting training elsewhere.

Do you have those?

Also don't fall into the trap of spending so much time on trying to build an agency that you forget about your business. First couple of years I actually did a little bit worse than when I was just by myself because I spent too much time on the agents instead of still working my book of business and prospecting for new clients. Find a good FMO that will help train your agents or that will work as a good back office for you.

Also make sure you are bringing value to your agents.

You would need a value add, so be able to offer them more money, leads, more help, something along the lines of that nature. If you have proven production then you can possibly get a higher level with some carriers which then you could offer up to your downlines a higher level than they could get on their own.

Back