Starting Out - All General Advice Appreciated!

DM112090

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for creating a priceless resource. This seems to be a collection of high-quality professionals, and the tips I'm jotting down are great.

I've been a captive agent with NYL based out of one of its best offices in the country for about 3 months now, to mixed results. My lines are life, long-term care, and fixed annuities. I want to get registered soon and have the materials, but I'm so desperate to drum up business in the short-term that I can only study in the late hours of the night and early morning.

I've pretty much probed all my warm market, and have been relying on cold-calling to try and set appointments. I've probably made about 1,000 cold dials since I've started, but I haven't successfully booked a single appointment, which tells me that the problem is not cold calling, but my approach.

A little about me:

- I have a great phone voice, use a script that other agents seem to like a lot
- Whenever I meet with senior management or established agents, they all tell me "you are going to dominate this field", but I think they give me too much credit. I'm about 6'4", 285lbs, and apparently I wear a suit nicely, so I think they just see a young kid with energy and tell me that without really taking the time to see what I'm doing right or wrong
- I run a nice appointment, but that was only after some serious coaching from my boss on value proposition, not selling product but concepts, and how important it is to get the prospect involved in the design of a product as much as possible
- My referral talk is pretty good, but millennials are very hesitant to ever give me anyone's number, which sucks because they're my warmest group

What do I want? Tips. About cold calling in particular, but also anecdotes from your early days, etc. I always look at this forum after a long day as a refresher and reminder of why I do what I do.

PM me for my contact info - I would love to have mentors in the business. This is what I want to do, I just need to put food on the table for my girlfriend before she takes my head off. :goofy:

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for creating a priceless resource. This seems to be a collection of high-quality professionals, and the tips I'm jotting down are great.

I've been a captive agent with NYL based out of one of its best offices in the country for about 3 months now, to mixed results. My lines are life, long-term care, and fixed annuities. I want to get registered soon and have the materials, but I'm so desperate to drum up business in the short-term that I can only study in the late hours of the night and early morning.

I've pretty much probed all my warm market, and have been relying on cold-calling to try and set appointments. I've probably made about 1,000 cold dials since I've started, but I haven't successfully booked a single appointment, which tells me that the problem is not cold calling, but my approach.

A little about me:

- I have a great phone voice, use a script that other agents seem to like a lot
- Whenever I meet with senior management or established agents, they all tell me "you are going to dominate this field", but I think they give me too much credit. I'm about 6'4", 285lbs, and apparently I wear a suit nicely, so I think they just see a young kid with energy and tell me that without really taking the time to see what I'm doing right or wrong
- I run a nice appointment, but that was only after some serious coaching from my boss on value proposition, not selling product but concepts, and how important it is to get the prospect involved in the design of a product as much as possible
- My referral talk is pretty good, but millennials are very hesitant to ever give me anyone's number, which sucks because they're my warmest group

What do I want? Tips. About cold calling in particular, but also anecdotes from your early days, etc. I always look at this forum after a long day as a refresher and reminder of why I do what I do.

PM me for my contact info - I would love to have mentors in the business. This is what I want to do, I just need to put food on the table for my girlfriend before she takes my head off. :goofy:

I set apts for financial planners but work with direct mail leads for the most part but that can be costly so I can understand your frustration. You are definitely in ruff spot but I might be able to help you out some and give you a few pointers. Cold calling is HARD even if you have to worlds best personality and phone voice. That being said I will try to send you in a direction that is not cosley. Its the old adage "its a numbers game" you can PM me or email me at [email protected] or just call me at 760 327 6510

Agent opinions are NOT worth much! Remember that 90% fail out within the first 4 years.

You're in danger of getting into the House of Pain.

Remember this: no one wants to buy insurance until they know what insurance can do for them.

There's plenty here in these three links to help you get started on a lot of homework.

Thanks for posting this DHk. good stuff.

Hey all,

Minor update: I decided that door-knocking is the way for me to go about things. I live in a town heavily-concentrated with housewives and elderly folks, so I can knock doors just about any time of day and get a pretty decent open rate.

I did a two hour warm-up session and was surprised at how kind people were. I didn't get a single nasty response. Some were frank and said flat out they weren't interested, but no slammed doors, etc.

My plan is to knock on as many doors as possible for the next 90 days. According to another post I read, if I talk to 200 people a week and fill out only 2 applications, I'm doing exactly what I need to be doing, and that's only with a 1% conversion rate. I like those odds.

DHK, do you have an email or phone number I could use to get in touch with you? Feel free to PM me.

PS: I spoke to shotgunenergy and he's the real deal. Any agents looking for a solid telemarketer should give him a call; he's got his act together.

Hey OP, feeling the same and standing next to you in the House of Pain. We will endure, and good folks here. I found this resource in another thread and just passing it on and paying it forward.

youtube: Claude Diamond.

He has a refreshing and non-sensical approach in his G.U.T.S. I cannot vouch for it, tho' it resonated with me. Your mileage may vary. . .

Back