Advice Wanted: Starting out as a full time P&C producer

Roll_Tide

Hey guys! I have been reading this forum a good bit the past six months and finally decided to join! For the past few months I have worked part-time as a p&c producer for an independent agency while I worked at my full-time job. I recently decided to purse insurance full-time!

I do have a few questions: What are some good ways for a new producer to prospect and get clients? Of course auto and home is the bread and butter but I am also interested in commercial.

Also, what is a good website/ YouTube series to watch and get pointers on how to prospect commercial clients?

Thanks in advanced!

Talk to people. This may sound stupid but some of my largest policies came about through brief conversations. Picture your prospecting as an octopus. 8 arms, 8 directions. Go out and prospect in one of the arms directions every day. Rinse, Lather, Repeat. Be consistent. The business which blows you off for months WILL have a day where you become a hero for whatever reason. Get some commercial and sell the employees on the P&C

Talk to people. This may sound stupid but some of my largest policies came about through brief conversations. Picture your prospecting as an octopus. 8 arms, 8 directions. Go out and prospect in one of the arms directions every day. Rinse, Lather, Repeat. Be consistent. The business which blows you off for months WILL have a day where you become a hero for whatever reason. Get some commercial and sell the employees on the P&C

Thank you for the reply! Anything in particular to discuss when you meet for the first time? Aside from introducing myself and my company I work for, what else do I need to discuss? I am wanting to average around $6k in written premium a week starting next month.

Just noticed your User ID. With a daughter at LSU, I am afraid I cannot be of any more help. Saban has all the answers

After the introduction, This is what I do. If I can help to answer any questions in the future please don't hesitate to call. If we get to a point where you are comfortable with my answers, perhaps you would be willing to share a copy of your policy with me. I'm not looking to change anything but welcome the opportunity to see if you are covered correctly. Can I leave a few business cars for your employees?

Just noticed your User ID. With a daughter at LSU, I am afraid I cannot be of any more help. Saban has all the answers
Hey now! If Father Nick had all the answers we would have played Jalen the second half! I pull for LSU every game except when they play Bama. Bama, LSU and MIZZOU are my teams.
After the introduction, This is what I do. If I can help to answer any questions in the future please don't hesitate to call. If we get to a point where you are comfortable with my answers, perhaps you would be willing to share a copy of your policy with me. I'm not looking to change anything but welcome the opportunity to see if you are covered correctly. Can I leave a few business cars for your employees?

That sounds really good! I guess my biggest thing is that I don't know when to ask for a copy of the policy to see if I can write it in the future. I am not new to sales, but I am to this type of sales.

Hi and welcome! I just recently signed up too after lurking for a long time.

I will say this- when you take advice, find out if that person is really where you want to be. Sometimes people get zealous and start giving advice because something worked a couple times but they haven't really been through the test of time, if that makes sense.

I managed a team of sales people and I found that everyone had a different approach and style. One guy would just talk to random people and end up turning it into a sales relationship. Other people relied heavily on internet leads.

The best sales people I've managed had two things is common:
1. Rejection didn't phase them. Seriously. In personal or business life. It sometimes astounded me.
2. They worked hard/a lot. Some were in early, others stayed late- but the point was that they were working when other people weren't.

You said you were working in the industry part time- have you already written clients or started building a book of business? Sometimes referrals are a more comfortable way to spread out a little.

One book here that has been recommended to me and I finally ordered it is The Wedge by Randy Schwantz. It talks about how the biggest obstacle between you and closing a sale is the fact that there's another agent and no likes firing their current agent.

I haven't found any channels on youtube that thrill me, but I'd love to know if there's some good ones out there. I have some friends who listen to podcasts, though honestly I have a hard time getting into that. I guess I just prefer quiet in the background so don't think to listen to them in spare time.

There are a few facebooks groups who tout the value of using social media to get leads. I've tried one of the more prominent ones and wasn't happy. Actually, I was kicked out of their group for inquiring about competition... lol... so take that for what it is.

I've heard alot about 'disrupting' the industry and so many ways to try to beat the system, but I think when it comes down to it- if you're trying to build a quality book of business - it just takes time. The industry has always been about relationships and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Reading some previews of The Wedge has made me start thinking along the lines of what can you do for your clients that other agents can't drive a wedge?

Good luck!

Back