Starting Out Part-Time

LVBoPeep

Hello,

I have been doing a small amount of Medicare business (MAPD, Supps, PDP) for about a year and a half now in addition to my full time job which is managing a life & health agency. Up until now, I've only worked our own book of business turning 65 and a few referrals but that is only about 1-2 people a month average, a few more during AEP.

We are going to a 4 day work week which will give me a full day I can start devoting to building my Medicare book. I can do some business on work days too, they are pretty flexible about that and previously I've done a lot of morning or early evening appointments to work around my schedule.

I'm interested in what others have done starting out part time to build both their knowledge and book of business. What type of leads did you purchase (pre-worked vs cold-calling?), etc. What worked for you? PM me or reply here- just looking for ideas of where to start.

Thanks!

If you are used to turning 65 and you have a little money to spend I would recommend direct mail.

I wouldnt recommend that ^^^!! T65 DM requires he mail 6mos in advance and continue for 6mos until he'll see a commission. That's not cheap at all, but if you can afford it, its a good way to go.

Cheaper route would be buying some 68-76 TM leads & trying to switch ppl to save money (commission right away & leads are $8-12) or buying T65 TM leads (John Galt on the forum has them AND Fortune has older TM leads).

From a numbers standpoint you might be better off doing nights/weekends than relying just on the one full day. By all means take advantage of that day, but with follow ups needed and a part-time schedule nothing beats nights and weekends. TM leads could be the way to go, definitely worth trying first IMO.

In fact the best advice I would give to anyone starting out selling Med Supps and who wants to be financially independent (can't speak for Med Advantage but the residuals are there too) is to go full speed ahead, sacrifice every bit of your spare time for the next year or two until you have systems in place to get consistent policies on the books.

Most people aren't willing to work that hard or sacrifice that much, but the payoff is worth it.

I wouldnt recommend that ^^^!! T65 DM requires he mail 6mos in advance and continue for 6mos until he'll see a commission. That's not cheap at all, but if you can afford it, its a good way to go. Cheaper route would be buying some 68-76 TM leads & trying to switch ppl to save money (commission right away & leads are $8-12) or buying T65 TM leads (John Galt on the forum has them AND Fortune has older TM leads).

Hmm must be different in FL. I just got paid on a T65 that I got in the mail in mid January. Effective 4-1-16 and I got paid. But yeah if he/she could swing doing TM leads it would work too

I should mention too, my direct mail leads average around $10 per

Hmm must be different in FL. I just got paid on a T65 that I got in the mail in mid January. Effective 4-1-16 and I got paid. But yeah if he/she could swing doing TM leads it would work too

I should mention too, my direct mail leads average around $10 per

Yeah I can get paid 3mos in advance if the client is ready to sign up 3mos prior, which is what I try to do....doesnt always work out like that. But I was referring to the point which u mailed out that lead til u get paid. You signed them up in Jan, but u probably mailed out the lead last Nov right?

Yeah I can get paid 3mos in advance if the client is ready to sign up 3mos prior, which is what I try to do....doesnt always work out like that. But I was referring to the point which u mailed out that lead til u get paid. You signed them up in Jan, but u probably mailed out the lead last Nov right?

Order went out December 29th. Started getting them in roughly Jan 19. Signed him up right away. :)
You're right though it doesn't always happen that way. He was a May 1 baby. So he got to start Medicare April 1.

Order went out December 29th. Started getting them in roughly Jan 19. Signed him up right away. :)
You're right though it doesn't always happen that way. He was a May 1 baby. So he got to start Medicare April 1.

WoW, so you're only mailing out 4-5mos in advance....returns wouldn't be to good here if I did that, need 6mos!

WoW, so you're only mailing out 4-5mos in advance....returns wouldn't be to good here if I did that, need 6mos!

December I mailed, may June and July because it was my first month in my new city. In Jan I just mailed out July and August. So technically that's 6 and 7 months out.

I'm mailing my t65 only 2-3 months in advance because I want people ready to buy. Am I losing some? ...probably but I'm saving so much time eliminating the information sucking tire kickers. I don't mind educating people but I have no interest talking with people who will want to talk to 10 other advisors.

Back