Starting Out with Aflac

chapman442

I am very close to signing up with Aflac to begin my Insurance Career. I do want to go independent as soon as it makes sense to.

I've been in Corporate sales for 20+ year and then in automotive high line sales for the last 10. Anyone have any insights, comments?

Ok. I'll bite. You guys on this forum have my respect and I value your comments. Why not and/or where else?

Limited portfolio, low commissions, no lead program, massive time commitment, pretty much everything that can possibly be working against you.

That's not to say that a good opportunity would have all of the above, but usually for the amount of commitment AFLAC wants, they need to cough up a pretty decent lead program.

AFLAC mass recruits and basically trains their agents to go beat down the same 100 doors every other aflac agent has knocked on. Not all offices are the same, but pretty damn close.

thanks for the reply. I found an old thread on Aflac since my last post (in fact, I think you posted on that one too, Josh). Not very encouraging. Would a captive company be best to start - or an independent? I have about 10+,- good years left and my goal is to generate as much renewal business as possible in that time for retirement.

Thanks again!

thanks for the reply. I found an old thread on Aflac since my last post (in fact, I think you posted on that one too, Josh). Not very encouraging. Would a captive company be best to start - or an independent? I have about 10+,- good years left and my goal is to generate as much renewal business as possible in that time for retirement.

Thanks again!

It's really tough to say what is the best fit for you knowing very little, but Aflac isn't the ticket, that much is for sure.

The failure rate for agents in general is high, it's even higher for independent agents. You'll need good training, decent product, solid marketing (usually means leads), and at least decent contracts.

Most of the folks on here are independent life guys and they have a specific view of the world. There are also some Medicare agents. If your goal is renewals then Medicare and/or P&C is the way to go. The reality is that with changes looming it's entirely possible the med supp market is unstable, but it's also been around for decades and it's possible it will lay around for a good long while yet. That said, as far as renewals go, they're pretty good and there really isn't a lot of customer service work. Any Medicare agent that disagrees with me should talk to a P&C agent and the amount of service work they have to do on personal lines.

There are renewals with life insurance, but they're much smaller.

I wouldn't do any of this if you weren't planning on working through your retirement.

Thanks folks. Great Advice. I'm going to find another way. Thinking of both life (higher up front payout) and health (renewals).

Happy Tax Day!

Back