Starting out with Mutual Of Omaha

israel7

Hello, I'll be starting out as a financial advisor for the Mutual of Omaha this July. I've already passed my Life/Health exam and I plan to get my series 65 as it is a part of their advisor financing plan. I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to put my best foot forward and hit the ground running with MoO, in respect to my relationship with my sales manager (I feel like this MoO office has a good culture), sales, training, etc... Any advice would be appreciated.

https://insurance-forums.com/commun...mutual-of-omaha-career-agent-resources.41669/

First, to offer investments, you'll need to get your Series 6 & 63. Your series 65 will only be helpful after you pass these other two exams.

Second, recognize that the majority of Mutual of Omaha agents... aren't securities licensed. Remember that their core business is life insurance and annuities. I'd study up on their new IUL policy.

Third, you need a prospecting and marketing plan. Who are you going to offer a consultation to?

Lots of ideas here:
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/guidance-for-new-life-agents.29999/

And here:
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/d2d-l-h-annuities-tracker.88391/

Unless you already have your "project 200" ready to go?

First, to offer investments, you'll need to get your Series 6 & 63. Your series 65 will only be helpful after you pass these other two exams.

Not to take away from the rest of the post (because I agree) but you do not need to have a FINRA association to get the 65.

It may be semantics but while you can't "sell" securities you can "advise" on them for a fee with just a 65.

I guess that it depends on what you consider "offering investments" to include.

Captive agency rules would be that you have to be affiliated with their B/D before you can be affiliated with their RIA. And until you're appointed with an RIA, you cannot give portfolio advice of any kind, even if you did pass the Series 65.

Not to take away from the rest of the post (because I agree) but you do not need to have a FINRA association to get the 65.

It may be semantics but while you can't "sell" securities you can "advise" on them for a fee with just a 65.

I guess that it depends on what you consider "offering investments" to include.

No kidding. So you don't have to be regulated / associated with / by FINRA to get your series 65?

I thought that was a given?
Got any proof of that?

Thanks (most people know/think otherwise).

Introduction to the Series 65 exam

Eligibility
You do not need to be employed by or sponsored by a FINRA member firm in order to register and take the series 65 exam. It will affect what form you need to fill out upon registering: If you are sponsored, a Form U4 needs to be filled out and submitted; if you are not, you need to fill out a Form U10. Both can be done electronically on FINRA's website. This exam is one of the more basic exams and does not require any other prerequisites to be eligible.

Do I Need a Sponsor? : series65test.com

And here's the regulator site:
Exam FAQs - NASAA

Do I need to have a sponsor before I take the Series 63, 65, or 66?
No. Unsponsored candidates who are not Form U4 registered or currently affiliated with a firm through FINRA’s Web CRD system should open an exam enrollment window via FINRA.org request and pay for the S63, S65, or S66 exams.

Thanks very much.

You don't need a sponsor to take the exam but 'I think' you need to hang your license under a company to operate "Correct?"

Back