Starting over

winchester49

Expert
What percentage of your gross income would you folks set aside to allow for chargebacks and taxes? I have been out of the field for eight months due to health matters and I am ready to get back at it. Thanks for any input.

So a recommendation is to have 3 separate accounts. One for your business, one for your personal, and one just for chargebacks alone. (at least). For chargebacks, I always recommend 15% out of every policy sold. For taxes, I am extremely aggressive and set back 35% however that's just me. I believe the rule of thumb is 25%.

Okay lol.

20% and 2 accounts is plenty. Have all your commissions and business costs (leads) come into/out of the same account. You could put 20% in a savings account attached to the business checking account. Doesn't have to be business, but just the account that all business goes through.

Then pay yourself a salary each week covering just your expenses. When you have $10,000 saved up, give yourself a raise. :)

The nice thing about chargebacks is that they come out of future commissions. If you are writing consistent business, you'll rarely, if ever, have to write a check.

The 20% is a safety net just in case and should cover most of your taxes. If you're paying 35% taxes as an Indy agent, you should fire your accountant.

I tend to be pretty aggressive with savings. So I definitely use "ridiculously large percentages when prepping for taxing, emergency savings, etc". And I don't use the "just write more business approach either".

I don't let my commissions decide which company gets my business. I'm in the business for my customer, to help them and provide top-notch service to them. So, because some companies can price themselves right out of the market and for my client. I don't just assume I'll write business to cover the cost. If there isn't enough business on the books. The insurance company will ask for a check. So I would rather be prepared. (again, I realize I'm a bit extreme on the side of being over-prepared for the situation). However, I'd rather be over-prepared than under-prepared :biggrin:

I tend to be pretty aggressive with savings. So I definitely use "ridiculously large percentages when prepping for taxing, emergency savings, etc". And I don't use the "just write more business approach either".

I don't let my commissions decide which company gets my business. I'm in the business for my customer, to help them and provide top-notch service to them. So, because some companies can price themselves right out of the market and for my client. I don't just assume I'll write business to cover the cost. If there isn't enough business on the books. The insurance company will ask for a check. So I would rather be prepared. (again, I realize I'm a bit extreme on the side of being over-prepared for the situation). However, I'd rather be over-prepared than under-prepared :biggrin:

I didn’t think you wrote business?

Back