Starting Scratch Independent In Texas...Cluster Suggestions Needed

rockclover

Hey All,

I have been a producer with a captive carrier for 20 years. I know, silly to not have done this many years ago. A recent layoff has given me the push that I needed. I am looking at different cluster options. Over the last 12 years, I have built up my referral network to consist of over 10 lender and 5 real estate referrals monthly. This allows me to average 38-50k in premium. I am smart enough to know that going on my own for carrier appointments will limit my clients options and therefore my income.

I prefer to do my own service work since that’s how I have always kept my retention above 87%. However, I would like a cluster to have the option of servicing the book once it gets too much for me to handle. It’s okat if it’s a great cluster without servicing as this can be fixed with a part time employee.

I really liked what Firefly has to offer and would appreciate any feedback anyone may have. The thing I don’t like, is the two year non compete and not owning your book. Commission is 75% on new business and renewals. However, I also have a 400 monthly fee which covers E&O and system access.

Any newer agents have advice on the best way to go in Texas?

Rock Clover,

How detailed did you get with the other 14?
Who what other clusters did you take the finish line with Firefly?
How did you whittle down the list of 14 to your final contestants?
What made Firefly stand out?
Where are you in TX?

please let me know what you find out. PM me please. Especially firefly whats so special about them. the book is not yours, the clients aren't yours its 75% commissions & what about their auto & home markets. whats so special

The OP simply HAS to be thinking solely in terms of upfront cost. I checked out this Firefly (never heard of them) and the model is not one I would sign up for as a business owner. "Equity" in our world, does not mean you own your business. They have carriers, sure, but it's not THAT impressive a list. I feel like it's an easy way in to get you trapped later.

Indienoise and MoneyNIrvana,

Rockclover came our of nowhere to create what seems to be a beautiful commercial for Firefly. It might just be that.

Last edited:
From rockclover on Sept 30th: "I really liked what Firefly has to offer and would appreciate any feedback anyone may have. The thing I don’t like, is the two year non compete and not owning your book. Commission is 75% on new business and renewals. However, I also have a 400 monthly fee which covers E&O and system access.

Shawn of Premier is on-point here. There are quite a few agency network groups out there offering very similar membership features, to what rockclover describes here about Firefly. There are also several agency network groups that offer much better deals. Somewhat surprised you didn't find something better than what is described, especially after looking at more than a dozen different options. Good luck with Firefly anyway - hope it works for you. How does their escape clause read?

Back