Starting to feel like the wild west and snake oil

I write only Medigap. No MA plans. Used to pass along maybe half a dozen referrals per year to a friend that wrote the MA plans for me.

I don't think I have sent him a single referral in a couple of years.

And all this time I thought you were just mad at me. I think the last one you sent to me, after I discussed it with him, I told him to call you back and enroll in the Med Supp.

For the OP, some of us sell both (Med Supp and MAPD) and do it the right way. I always tell the prospect that if it’s within the budget, I recommend Med Supp over MAPD. But if they just don’t see that they can afford a Med Supp, I’m not going to walk away from the sale and will advise them on the proper fit for the MAPD.

All we can do is deal with each prospect in an honest and professional manner. As someone else said, the crappy agents hurt our image, but they also create job security once we’ve had a chance to speak with a prospect who has been treated like a transaction.

So True, Also sometimes I have these type once in a while

You know They understand everything up until you have to tell them something they don't want to hear they say this is so confusing, No it's just not what you want to hear

I never sign those I am sure they sign with the guy that lies to them

holy moly, did you hit the nail on the head with that one. Its so funny to watch some of these people actually get mad sometimes. They almost sometimes, even get mad at us (The agent), like we designed the policy or something! Or we have the ability to change it!LOL

Take it or leave it brother. That MAPD plan is a heck of a lot better than the crappy insurance I got! And often better than the insurance they have

I love a good $0 premium MAPD.

What the “medigap only call center” jockeys always leave out is the stand alone Part D piece. I feel like I’ve mentioned this a time or two... I can’t tell you how often the stand alone Part D estimated cost is more than $500 extra in yearly estimated overall cost.

That’s real money.

But medigap only call center agents will not run the pdp vs local mapd and isolate that cost (it would go against their narrative). It’s not even in their thought process...

Add that to the $110+ Plan G premium and we’re talking some real cash - at the starting line, your client is guaranteed to lose at least $1,500 more than mine.

Then, my client gets new glasses, free, and can see the ole’ dentist, free. We’re starting off $1,800 ahead of you in cost.

[throw in a Part B premium reduction and it’s just silly to not strongly consider the mapd]

With an out of pocket max under $7,000 - the “risk” is low and can certainly be worth saving $2k. Multiply this by 5-10 years... or more.

I’m seeing more $0 mapd PPO’s this year...which is even better.

Having said all this, I wrote 4 Plan G policies today... so I certainly don’t “push” mapd (even if I would buy it at 65).

Somarco, you just described my business to a T. I have a competing agent in my area who pushes MAPD like crazy. never even presents Med Sup. and he only writes UHC, and they help him at every step. they give him grants and co-op, they set him up in street fairs and health fairs, etc. drives me crazy.

I just helped one of his clients get disenrolled and get a $50,000 refund from UHC. Because he didnt do his job.

How did the person get a $50,000 refund?
The MA companies can’t churn the new agents quickly enough. The quality and breadth of knowledge of these agents is very scary.

MAPD isn't evil. It's a valid Medicare option. Don't believe me? Read Medicare and You. If all you want to sell is Med Supp then more power to you, but it's not right and not compliant to tell Medicare beneficiaries that Part C of Medicare should be avoided.

MAPD isn't evil. It's a valid Medicare option. Don't believe me? Read Medicare and You. If all you want to sell is Med Supp then more power to you, but it's not right and not compliant to tell Medicare beneficiaries that Part C of Medicare should be avoided.

True that CMS is pushing folks toward MAPD plans. It is getting more obvious.

But what many agents don't consider is this. When an agent writes only Medigap it doesn't mean they are painting MA as "evil".

In my case it is quite the opposite.

When I am asked to explain the difference I do. Almost every time the response is "no one told me that".

So the agent or carrier rep isn't doing a good job of explaining, the prospect isn't paying attention (or just doesn't understand), or perhaps a combination of both.

All of my clients have original Medicare and a supplement plan. I didn't SELL any of them on the idea of one vs the other.

They ask questions. I give answers. They choose.

Pretty simple formula.

In every case their decision involves two things.

The ability to have unfettered access to health care anywhere in the country.

A way to budget for health care expenses without surprises.

At no time do I push one option as superior to the other.

(Caveat: not an agent.)

Based on all I have read in the forums, I would suggest that it is not right for an agent not to be sure that his or her customers understand the financial costs and possible care restrictions that could come their way under Part C. For some of us, two years of Part C out of pocket costs, back to back, could represent a major financial disaster. I would also suspect that for at least a few folks with financial restrictions, the decision for Part C over Parts A, B, D became a life and DEATH decision.

(Caveat: not an agent.)

Based on all I have read in the forums, I would suggest that it is not right for an agent not to be sure that his or her customers understand the financial costs and possible care restrictions that could come their way under Part C. For some of us, two years of Part C out of pocket costs, back to back, could represent a major financial disaster. I would also suspect that for at least a few folks with financial restrictions, the decision for Part C over Parts A, B, D became a life and DEATH decision.

I now feel better equipped. Thank you, LD.

True that CMS is pushing folks toward MAPD plans. It is getting more obvious.

But what many agents don't consider is this. When an agent writes only Medigap it doesn't mean they are painting MA as "evil"...

A way to budget for health care expenses without surprises.

At no time do I push one option as superior to the other.

We are in agreement. I didn't say that agents who sell only Med Supps are painting MA's as "evil". What I said was that agents who sell only Med Supps shouldn't paint MA's as evil. Same is true of agents who sell only MA's - they shouldn't dismiss Original Medicare with Med Supps as "evil" either.

I actually sell both and can explain in detail how both work, with all the possible costs and limits of each side. I always present them both as equally valid options and show the nuts and bolts of each. Anything less than that is not a compliant presentation. Granted I spend more time explaining the MA's because they're more complicated and have more potential types of costs so it's VERY important to cover all of that so the member has accurate expectations. That's where the problem is - it's in agents, not in plan type (big surprise, right?).

We are in agreement. I didn't say that agents who sell only Med Supps are painting MA's as "evil". What I said was that agents who sell only Med Supps shouldn't paint MA's as evil. Same is true of agents who sell only MA's - they shouldn't dismiss Original Medicare with Med Supps as "evil" either.

I actually sell both and can explain in detail how both work, with all the possible costs and limits of each side. I always present them both as equally valid options and show the nuts and bolts of each. Anything less than that is not a compliant presentation. Granted I spend more time explaining the MA's because they're more complicated and have more potential types of costs so it's VERY important to cover all of that so the member has accurate expectations. That's where the problem is - it's in agents, not in plan type (big surprise, right?).

I sell both as well and both are good in the right situation. It really depends on the needs of the client.

Back