Starting with Farmers.... Need Advice.

DGA22

Brand new to the forum. I am in the initial stages of starting as a Farmers Agent in the midwest. I live in a medium size community (200,000+ population) and there are currently only 2 Farmers agents active here. I have spoken to both of them. One is fairly new (6 months) and the other has been an agent for 5 years. They both had nothing but positive things to say about their time with Farmers.

I was very excited about the opportunity of a career as a Farmers agent and to run my own business but have been bounced back and forth on the pros and cons while navigating the posts on this site. Mostly negative regarding Farmers.

One message seems very clear however: Being an independent agent is the way to go.

I have a vast (15+ year) successful sales background ranging from Pharmaceutical sales to telecom sales as well as spending 5 years as a commercial lines producer for a locally owned, multi-line agency.

Would someone please be kind enough to share the steps to starting as an independent? I have heard many say that this is a much more rewarding and potentially successful way to become an insurance agent as opposed to starting with a captive.

Or if there are any current Farmers agents out there that have any feedback, that would be great too.

Thank you in advance for your response.

I'm a successful Farmers agent in Texas… I would love to go independent simply for the fact that I'd have options to offer clients vs major rate increases shoved down our customers throats and or the crazy management executive turnover we have had…

Although that being said, I still run a profitable, high income earning business. If you are as good as you think you are, build up the Farmers agency and then sell it once you gain experience and can prove profitability then you can go to carriers and get direct appointments instead of using a cluster.

Good luck.

I'm a successful Farmers agent in Texas… I would love to go independent simply for the fact that I'd have options to offer clients vs major rate increases shoved down our customers throats and or the crazy management executive turnover we have had…

Although that being said, I still run a profitable, high income earning business. If you are as good as you think you are, build up the Farmers agency and then sell it once you gain experience and can prove profitability then you can go to carriers and get direct appointments instead of using a cluster.

Good luck.

Todd, I love and hate this post because you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Not that I think it's for a malicious reason, but regardless..you're 2 paragraphs are very contradictory.

You'd love to go independent, but then recommend the guy starting with Farmers and selling the book. I say, HELL NAH.

My advice, if you want to go the P&C route, is to get a job at a company that will pay you base + commission...Liberty Mutual was my start. Go work for them for 6 months, the first 4 is training, and the 2 months in the field. Get a grip on your confidence level. Then make a decision. Why invest money into something that you're not 100% on...bad investment advice.

P&C definitely has it's place and their are a ton of folks killing it. Just know going in, as a captive..no matter who you are with...it is a tough road to hoe. An independent will be able to beat your price every time (almost).

Good Luck, pm if you'd like some more insight, for what it's worth.

Back