State Farm agent vs. Independent agent job offer: please advice

insurance82

Expert
I have been working for state farm agent for almost 2 months and not really happy the way things are progressing so far. I have quote many people but sold 0 policy so far. SF rates are higher than other companies and no amount of convincing help to close the sale. I'm pretty new to insurance industry and feel lost in the sale process. There is no structure training. All I do is servicing clients and make cold calls to generate new sales. Sales Leads provided by agents seems very old. Previous 2 employees have worked on leads and he said they keep working on it every year. I hate making cold calls to same people again and again. Also as a foreign born i have accents which some people find annoying.

Few weeks ago I contacted a independent agent to help me sign up for health insurance thru market place and after knowing my background he shown interests in hiring me. He represents multiple companies for p&C, life, health and for commercial business. He did mention that my accents will be an issue for some people (originally I'm from India). He said I would be a good asset to to his firm targeting Indian community in our area plus he would train me on other things as well.

Can you guys advice me what should I do in this situation? I feel pretty depressed and let down the way things are going. If I make switch to independent agent, what things I should be careful in negotiation process? He's also willing to pay me base + commission + bonus.

If you are selling p&c, I would suggest you eventually make your way to independent commercial sales. Over the next 20 years personal home and auto will become (and is becoming) mostly commoditized and sold via phone and internet like Lemonade, Progressive, Esurance, Geico, Usaa, etc.

Being Indian may help you sell to the Indian market, it may not. I have a huge portion of my clients that are Chinese, even some that barely speak english, or none at all and use a translator to deal with me. There are plenty of Chinese insurance brokers, but for whatever reason they prefer to deal with me, and I'm about as Chinese as a hamburger.

He represents multiple companies for p&C, life, health and for commercial business.

Jack of all trades... comes to mind. I wonder what he's REALLY good at?

He said I would be a good asset to to his firm targeting Indian community in our area plus he would train me on other things as well.

Just because you're Indian doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will do business with you if you don't have something worth saying to get their attention.

Previous 2 employees have worked on leads and he said they keep working on it every year. I hate making cold calls to same people again and again.

Let me help clarify that: "I hate making cold calls to the same people while I have no additional value to offer them again and again."

If you don't say anything new... nothing will change. I don't care WHO you work for.

I'd start with this video because Tom Love will help you understand that having something to say is far more important than having someone to say it to.

As a side note, Tom Love is doing an introduction to the Breakaway League webinar on Monday for 30 minutes, so you might find this a valuable use of your time.
https://www.thebreakawayleague.com/intro

Here's Van Mueller's State Farm training from nearly 3 years ago. Plenty to learn in this 4-hour training.

If you are selling p&c, I would suggest you eventually make your way to independent commercial sales. Over the next 20 years personal home and auto will become (and is becoming) mostly commoditized and sold via phone and internet like Lemonade, Progressive, Esurance, Geico, Usaa, etc.

Being Indian may help you sell to the Indian market, it may not. I have a huge portion of my clients that are Chinese, even some that barely speak english, or none at all and use a translator to deal with me. There are plenty of Chinese insurance brokers, but for whatever reason they prefer to deal with me, and I'm about as Chinese as a hamburger.

I noticed that how fussy and sensitive people are about P&C premium prices. If what you say is true then future doesn't seem bright for P&C agent.

Jack of all trades... comes to mind. I wonder what he's REALLY good at?

Just because you're Indian doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will do business with you if you don't have something worth saying to get their attention.

Let me help clarify that: "I hate making cold calls to the same people while I have no additional value to offer them again and again."

If you don't say anything new... nothing will change. I don't care WHO you work for.

I'd start with this video because Tom Love will help you understand that having something to say is far more important than having someone to say it to.

As a side note, Tom Love is doing an introduction to the Breakaway League webinar on Monday for 30 minutes, so you might find this a valuable use of your time.
https://www.thebreakawayleague.com/intro

Here's Van Mueller's State Farm training from nearly 3 years ago. Plenty to learn in this 4-hour training.

I do agree that me being Indian won't matter to every Indians and I understand that he has motive to gain more access to Indian community so he can make profit.

As far as making cold calls, yes i hate making it but i understand its part of prospecting. I don't want to just sit in the office and making cold calls all day. You are right abt that I don't know what else to say to them. I feel pretty lost at times.

I agree that Indy is without a Question the Ultimate place to be. But... State Farm is, believe it or not, not a bad place to learn. I would stick it out with them for a year before heading Indy.

Back