State Farm Team Member Compensation

About what I would expect. However, here is the biggest plus. You have the chance to learn on someone else's dime.

If you're happy with a mediocre job, it's great. You'll probably be able to stay there as long as you like and if you work hard you'll make a more than livable wage. If that isn't enough for you, you probably want to find something else. If that is enough for you, it's a pretty fair deal. There really is no wrong answer.

Different compensation really, if I was in your shoes and I plan on staying in the agency, I would cut my salary in half and ask for increase on the commission and 25% renewal with increases later. If my goal is to eventually own my agency, I would ask for the highest upfront and no renewal since I will be leaving in 2 years or so. As Josh said, no right or wrong answer; all depends on you. Figure out what you want and go from there.

8 yrs in shoe sales, ages 17-24, I was making 30k/yr working as shoe sales part time. I was top seller. I wanted to sell cars and later on become a finance manager and make 60-100k/yr but since I had three moving violations I had to delay that career track, and then I found this state farm team member gig. I want to make at least 50k/yr selling ins under an agency, but idk if that is even possible with this plan, but if its fair compared to other team members then it will do for the time being until my violations lapse the 3 year period.

I just wonder if this pay plan is fair and common for a agent team member.

----------

sounds good to me too. when I was in insurance classes, there were other state farm team members, I asked them about their stuff and they got about what I got. a couple don't even have a base salary, but I wonder what the commission split payout would be on those people that are agent team members that are on pure commission. no salary.

----------

are team members normally don't get the renewal benefit?

I think that is pretty normal for SF. Some Indy's will do better.

Different compensation really, if I was in your shoes and I plan on staying in the agency, I would cut my salary in half and ask for increase on the commission and 25% renewal with increases later. If my goal is to eventually own my agency, I would ask for the highest upfront and no renewal since I will be leaving in 2 years or so. As Josh said, no right or wrong answer; all depends on you. Figure out what you want and go from there.

Sometimes I wonder. why are commissions on auto insurance so low. even for an agent/owner. I sell shoes and I get 9% of the full sale, sell cars and you get 25% of the net profit, and then puny 6-7% on insurance. I would think insurance would have the highest commissions since there are no production or supply costs other than holding money and keeping track of the money, other than that CEO's and all corporate people eat up most of the premium. I wished insurance sales people...the front lines men and women of an insurance company, were compensated generously. Geez this world is kind of messed up. 90% of the premiums are profitable, we sales get 6-7%, 30% goes towards operations costs, then the rest 40+% goes into undeserving peoples pockets who do absolutely nothing but had a family lineage that back dated to the forefathers who created the insurance company, basically rich people back in the early 1900s.

Back