State Farm Vs Going Independent

Hi All,
I have been a State Farm team member/ office manager in San Francisco for exactly 10 yrs and have hit the ceiling of growth for any team member. I have a nice salary but am ready to move on and believe I’m more than qualified to be an agent. I have always enjoyed State Farm as a company but very rarely have to deal with any pressure or conversation from upper management so my opinion is strictly based off of the 2 agents I have had the pleasure to work for. I’m nervous about my next step mainly because I am 38 with 3 kids, a mortgage and we are obviously very dependent on my income. I think even though it is going to require very hard work on my end I can still produce a decent paycheck the first year with State Farm as an agent (I may be misinformed). The independent route scares the heck out of me but it is also intrigues me a lot as well. Is there anyway of going independent and make money your first year?

1. Can you prospect regardless of the "brand name" behind you? Can you sell YOU rather than a brand? Remember that people will label you based on brand names, but they can't label YOU until they EXPERIENCE working with you.

Even then, can you PIVOT from your brand name to help steer the conversation in the direction you choose?

https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/life-insurance-pivots.97090/

2. Can you sell life insurance OTHER than doing a "policy bundle"? Can you sell it as a solution to a problem rather than "buying this policy saves you 10% on your home and auto"?

Hi All,
I have been a State Farm team member/ office manager in San Francisco for exactly 10 yrs and have hit the ceiling of growth for any team member. I have a nice salary but am ready to move on and believe I’m more than qualified to be an agent. I have always enjoyed State Farm as a company but very rarely have to deal with any pressure or conversation from upper management so my opinion is strictly based off of the 2 agents I have had the pleasure to work for. I’m nervous about my next step mainly because I am 38 with 3 kids, a mortgage and we are obviously very dependent on my income. I think even though it is going to require very hard work on my end I can still produce a decent paycheck the first year with State Farm as an agent (I may be misinformed). The independent route scares the heck out of me but it is also intrigues me a lot as well. Is there anyway of going independent and make money your first year?

William, I am an independent agent in San Mateo. I started with State Farm about 8 years ago helping a scratch agent build an office, then we both went commercial indi when they canceled our contract for not selling enough life. I am partnered with several State Farm agents in San Ramon, San Francisco, and San Mateo. I am on the commercial indi side, but spend a lot of time with State Farm agency owners.

PM me and I'll give you all the low down and skinny. I am uniquely qualified to answer this question and am happy to.

Great work to have been a State Farm agent employee. Now you know how to sell, channel that into a truly profitable opportunity OUTSIDE of State Farm. I followed the State Farm path of glitzy earnings simulators and promises only to find out they really wanted financial services more than anything. Good bye SF.... And I didn't have your experience. I now work for an independant office in commercial lines where teh commission is better, you don't have to depend on the scorecard bonus to pay down marketing debt and you (owner) OWN your own book of business. If you talk to some other Inde agents you'll see that State Farm is a losing bet and many seasoned agents are leaving the farm..... Just one guys opinion.....

Latest posts

Back