State Pension Employees and Medicare

jmarkk1

Guru
100+ Post Club
Has anyone ever heard of state pension employees being "automatically" enrolled into Humana Medicare plans once they are eligible? Part A and B?

I had a lead where this was his understanding of things. Not sure this is accurate, but he said that once A and B kick in he's automatically placed with Humana medicare.

Can't say if Humana has a group Medicare product or not. If so it could be that.

I was approached a few months ago about a group Medicare product. Can't recall the carrier but it could have been Humana.

Companies are using these products in lieu of retiree medical.

Can't say if Humana has a group Medicare product or not. If so it could be that.

I was approached a few months ago about a group Medicare product. Can't recall the carrier but it could have been Humana.

Companies are using these products in lieu of retiree medical.

I can imagine groups being set up with this type of proposition, but it's hard to imagine that the employee is forced to take coverage from whatever company they are offered.

Based on what I've seen, the group Medicare plan is far better than what can be purchased on open market, so it would probably be hard to beat.

it's hard to imagine that the employee is forced to take coverage from whatever company they are offered.

"Forced" is such a strong word.

"Incentive" is probably more appropriate. If the employer is paying a significant portion of the premium opting for the group plan is not that unusual.

I had a case last year where the retiree group employees were losing their employer medical. (not gov't but Whirlpool).

They were offered a monthly subsidy ($40) if they bought a medigap plan, providing they bought it thru their specified contact. The plan was AARP med supp.

Humana has group Medicare. Aetna, too, and lots of other companies.

In a lot of cases it probably costs the employer quite a bit less to move anyone eligible for Medicare to a group Medicare plan rather than keeping them on the regular U65 group.

The retirees aren't "forced" to take the group Medicare plan, they're just told if they want employer benefits then that is the only way. Otherwise they're free to fend for themselves in the individual market. :1err:

Humana has group Medicare. Aetna, too, and lots of other companies.

In a lot of cases it probably costs the employer quite a bit less to move anyone eligible for Medicare to a group Medicare plan rather than keeping them on the regular U65 group.

The retirees aren't "forced" to take the group Medicare plan, they're just told if they want employer benefits then that is the only way. Otherwise they're free to fend for themselves in the individual market. :1err:

I haven't met anyone that says that they have a choice to go with a different plan on their own. Whether it is STRS or PERS in Ohio, they all have to take the MA plan.
In most cases it is better than what can be offered on individual market because companies like Humana have "special" plans for this group.
I just wish there was a way to come in and sell these plans...most of these employees haven't been helped at all with understanding coverage choices, etc.

In most cases it is better than what can be offered on individual market because companies like Humana have "special" plans for this group.
I just wish there was a way to come in and sell these plans...most of these employees haven't been helped at all with understanding coverage choices, etc.

The plans you see for large groups can have very compelling benefits, as the employer has the option to tell the insurer exactly what they want. The biggest difference that we've seen in these types of scenarios is full coverage through the Donut Hole.

The key, though, is what the consumers are being asked to pay for these plans. I've seen group products where the retirees share is extremely high, as much as 400 to 500 per month.

Each retiree is different. Even with cost sharing that high, there are some consumers that it would still make sense to stay in that type of product. Others would save lots of money by opting out and getting an individual plan.

One other thing to remember -- sometimes other benefits (life insurance, ltc) are tied to participation in the group health plan. If you are going to move someone out, make sure to ask that question first.

Back