Stay on Parents Plan Even if Eligible for Employer Plan?

scagnt83

Worldwide Expert of Everything
5000 Post Club
If a 24 year old is eligible for an employer sponsored plan. And that employer sponsored plan meets all of the necessary obamaBS guidelines. Is the 24 year old still eligible to stay on their parents plan? Or do they have to take the employer plan?

If a 24 year old is eligible for an employer sponsored plan. And that employer sponsored plan meets all of the necessary obamaBS guidelines. Is the 24 year old still eligible to stay on their parents plan? Or do they have to take the employer plan?

If the 24 year old is employed how can they be claimed as a dependant on the tax form?

If they are not claimed as a dependant then they have to take the employer plan unless the costs of the plan exceed the affordability threshold.

If the plan exceeds the affordability threshold then the 24 year old should be on their own OE plan.

They can stay on until age 26. They could be married or living at another address.

My 20 year old step-son lives with us and he is on his Dad's employer plan.

They can stay on until age 26. They could be married or living at another address.

My 20 year old step-son lives with us and he is on his Dad's employer plan.

They have to be able to be claimed as a dependant. I believe the OP is referring to a marketplace plan for the Family. Completely different situation then the one you are referring to.

They have to be able to be claimed as a dependant. I believe the OP is referring to a marketplace plan for the Family. Completely different situation then the one you are referring to.

Im not sure if it is a marketplace plan or not. Does it matter if it is employer sponsored or an exchange plan?

24 yr old can stay on parent's group plan paying full price to age 26 (regardless of tax status or dependent)

24 yr old can NOT stay on parents subsidized exchange plan if he has access to a qualified compliant affordable group plan at his own employer. Tax dependent or not.

If non subsidized exchange plan, he can stay on the exchange plan to age 26, and decline his own group.

Back