STD

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I know carriers like AFLAC, Allstate, Colonial & others offer STD on PRD, but does anyone write STD on individuals?

Looking for coverage beginning after 14 days (or longer) and running for up to 6 months (or longer).

I know carriers like AFLAC, Allstate, Colonial & others offer STD on PRD, but does anyone write STD on individuals?

Looking for coverage beginning after 14 days (or longer) and running for up to 6 months (or longer).

Mutual of Omaha is the only one that I know of that offers a true individual short-term disability product. The shortest elimination period is 14 days and the shortest benefit period is 6 months. The premiums can be a bit more and the monthly benefit a bit less when comparing to a 30 day eliminations period and a 2 yr benefit. I tell my clients that they will usually get a better deal if, and that is a big if, they can wait the extra 16 days and choose a 30 day elimination period.

Also, I know Assurity has a 1 yr benefit period with a 30 day elimination period.

If anybody knows of any other please let me know too.

Scott,

I don't care what they say, now that is funny. What else is it that Larry the Cable guy says?

There is an inherent danger in using acronyms. :D

Thx for the MoO lead.

Assurity offers a product, but I thought it was only PRD. Haven't seen a STD plan from Assurity on an individual basis.

Thx for the MoO lead.

Assurity offers a product, but I thought it was only PRD. Haven't seen a STD plan from Assurity on an individual basis.

Well, I don't think they call it a STD plan, but you can run a quote with a 30 day elimination period with only a 1 yr benefit.

I really don't like using a 1 yr benefit period, but it sure beats having nothing at all. Also, this type of plan is usually a bit less expensive for the client and offers a larger monthly benefit, compared to using Mutual of Omaha's 14 day elimination plan witha 6 month benefit.

I have used this with a few clients who need something for an income replacement plan if they get sick or hurt and can't work, but can't afford the premiums for a 5 yr or to age 65 benefit period.

Back