Still qualified for "open enrollment"

Nwit

Expert
I have a prospect who turned 65 in January. He had credible coverage through his wife until 6/1. He enrolled in a Medicare Advantage program (free) effective 6/1.

He is now concerned that the Advantage policy will not give him adequate coverage.

Can he now enroll in a Medigap policy? Will he still qualify for guaranteed enrollment because of the above mentioned dates?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I would check with the company you want to put him with for his Med Supp. If he turned 65 in January isn't July his sixth month of Open Enrollment?

I would also look at a special enrollment b/c of the coverage with work if you can't get him in on open enrollment.

I disagree with Frank even though he is correct.

You can enroll the guy in a PDP plan using IOEP which should take him out of him MAPD. You can enroll him in any Med Supp on a GI basis.

Rick

I disagree with Frank even though he is correct.

You can enroll the guy in a PDP plan using IOEP which should take him out of him MAPD. You can enroll him in any Med Supp on a GI basis.

Rick

What is a "him MAPD"???????? Is that anything like "him car or him lawnmower?"

Why would you go through all that when he can very simply be written Open Enrollment?

All you are going to do is confuse him even more. He is apparently new at this and doesn't know much about Medicare or Med Supps or he wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

I'm surprised that agents go out selling this stuff without at least a basic knowledge of how Medicare works.

I am not soliciting clients as yet. This came up in conversation with a neighbor. I did not know the answer to his question and thought I would post it here.

Thanks for the information and the "lesson."

Back