STM and GAP Plans Discussion.

I'm new to these STM plans. Has anybody put together a carrier underwriting cheat sheet that they'd like to share?

The cheat sheet is simple.

If you have had any kind of medical treatment in the previous 5 years either you will be declined or the carrier will find some way to deny your claim.

If you have had any kind of medical treatment in the previous 5 years either you will be declined or the carrier will find some way to deny your claim.

Most of the carriers ask 4-6 basic medical questions on the application to see if you are even eligible, but after that, like somarco says...beware pre-existing conditions of any sort. Some people forget that a pre-ex is also something that may have existed prior to applying, not only things in your medical records that show treatment. For example, if your back already hurts when you apply, the prudent person would not start the conversation by telling the doctor it has been painful for a long time, and you have finally decided to seek treatment now that you have the STM plan. :-)

The STM I primarily use is Peterson/Lloyds of London. They ask NO health questions, but do whatever they need to do, to prove that a medical condition is NOT pre-existing, before paying the claim(s).

Originally they did beef it up but then changed their mind and decided to cancel it after the 28th so until then no health questions just like before. I spoke to them yesterday.

Back