STM and Proposed Changes

bluemarlin08

Guru
1000 Post Club
Has there been any further discussion regarding the change to STM coming April 1? Assuming there has not been any I suppose the new law does go into effect.

Has there been any further discussion regarding the change to STM coming April 1? Assuming there has not been any I suppose the new law does go into effect.

IHC asked for another rule review and we should see something out of CMS by the end of the month. UHC (not a typo) is expecting the rule to be overturned, but for 7/1 effective dates and later.

UHC is allowing clients to be enrolled in 10 month STMs right now in states where 11 months is the limit. Is that 3 month limit on STMs a "law" or just the Obama Administration CMS' interpretation of the healthcare law?

Apparently a bunch of STM carriers got written notice from a bunch of DOI's saying they are not going to actually enforce the new rule, because it's unconstitutional. Plus, everyone expects it to go away, it's just a matter of when. Trump has bigger things to worry about than repealing that dumb rule.

I'm working on getting my STM clients who expire this Spring/Summer into an STM that's effective 3.30.2017 and runs through 12.31.2017. (Using IHC Health Solutions.)

Have to cancel existing and write new ones. I don't think any AHCA major medical will be available b4 this Fall.

UHC is allowing clients to be enrolled in 10 month STMs right now in states where 11 months is the limit. Is that 3 month limit on STMs a "law" or just the Obama Administration CMS' interpretation of the healthcare law?

I did UHC stm a couple of days ago in Virginia. The message said that after 3/30, plans longer than 3 months would be allowed ( which is what my client wanted).

I did UHC stm a couple of days ago in Virginia. The message said that after 3/30, plans longer than 3 months would be allowed ( which is what my client wanted).

They would be or would not be?

Is there anything official about this yet? Or is it a huge grey area that will differ from state to state?

From HCC on the 21st...

The Department of Health and Human Services has released new regulations restricting the sale of short-term plans so that the maximum duration cannot exceed 90 days. Due to this ruling, we’ve had to re-file our application in every state where our short term medical plan is available.
Unfortunately, several states have not yet approved our new application so we will be suspending sales at 12:00AM ET on 4/1/17 in:
• Alaska
• Arizona
• Connecticut
• California
• Colorado
• Florida
• Idaho
• Iowa
• New Hampshire
• New Mexico
• Oregon
• Pennsylvania
• Tennessee
• Washington
• Virginia

At this time there is no indication surrounding the timeline of when each individual state will review the pending application. Please contact your dedicated account executive if you have any questions and for further updates.

Back