Stonebridge Selling Against Us?

Daytona_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
FL and SC
Maybe it's just me and I have a strange opinion here, but I find it utterly repulsive to see Stonebridge (now showing as TransAmerica Premier) on the quote engines twice, to learn that they are actually selling against the independent brokers.

I confirmed that their lower rates (often $20 per month less on the same company, same plan letter, same zip code= everything same) are only available to their internal call center. While the higher rates, often not competitive at all, are the only rates available to us.

Last month, they revealed that they were cutting off advancing and considering termination of agents whose senior clients cost them too much money in claims (see here). And now we learn that they have a great rate offered to seniors direct, but a higher rate they want us to sell.

Three months ago, one of my agents was called by his Stonebridge client, concerned that they are approaching his Stonebridge folks and offering them life insurance direct, after my agent sold them the Medicare Supplement.
I'm sure many companies do this, but it only adds to the pattern here.

Does anyone else have a problem with this?

You can see the rate difference here:
https://www.facebook.com/MedicareAgentTraining

Pretty sure TPL is a different carrier, albeit owned by TA. Ritter is taking appointment applications for TPL now.

FE is offered via TA, Medigap (the new plans) via TPL.

Two separate contracting agreements.

I have no idea how the TPL rates will compare to existing TA plans which is only offered direct through private exchanges.

I checked the rates I sell at vs. the CA website (insurance.ca.gov), and they are the same.

Isn't it illegal to sell at one price direct and another price through agents?

Possibly, but only if it is the exact same product through the same carrier.

This is same product but different carriers.

I must've misunderstood. I understood him to say that Stonebridge through him costs $20 more than if it was bought directly from Stonebridge.

Aegon owns Stonebridge.

They also own TA and all the TA subsidiaries including their new carrier TPL.

Aegon owns Stonebridge.

They also own TA and all the TA subsidiaries including their new carrier TPL.

TPL is the new name for Monumental, so I was wondering why they are introducing a new medsupp plan, when I thought Stonebrige would be that carrier.

When I contracted with TA, they cancelled my Monumental contract at the time.
They said I couldnt have both.
The proposed rates are available for contractinng info. Not sure if the come up on quote system.

Seems like most companies sell against us by going direct to consumer.

I had a LTC company asking for referrals from my clients and sure enough, one sent one in. Referral was in another state so I couldn't sell that one, but I've seen mail solicitations in client homes so I know this happens. We all know.l

I checked the rates I sell at vs. the CA website (insurance.ca.gov), and they are the same.

PacifiCare used to do this on IFP in CA quite a few years ago. They dumped out the agent commission and lowered the price by that amount (~10%) and sold the health policies direct to the public at the lower rate.

Back