Strange Call Left on Machine

First of all, I grew up in the 641 area code in Iowa, near Monroe county, and that site is TN, are you sure they are the same folks? Or, maybe they have a call center in Iowa and it's some strange coincidence that it's in or near Monroe county?

the number has nothing to do with where they're located. That's a typical conference call number where anyone can dial in with the code.

Reference:

PUC - Customer Protection Division - Telemarketing

Telemarketing Regulations

Texas Implementation of HB 472 and "Do Not Call" List
The Public Utility Commission has rules in place to protect consumers from unscrupulous telephone sales solicitors.
A Telephone solicitor must:
  • Identify the name of the business calling
  • Identify a return phone number at which the company can be reached
  • Only call between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and between noon and 9 p.m. on Sunday
  • If the solicitor uses an automatic dial announcing device (ADAD), the computerized message must provide their company’s name and a telephone number that can receive an incoming call. This rule does not include calls from non-profit organizations, media subscription services, or a business soliciting a former or current customer.
Protect Yourself:
  • Get the name of the solicitor and purpose of the call before giving any information.
  • If you return a call from a solicitor, be cautious when leaving your name and phone number on their voice mail. Unauthorized charges may appear on your phone bill.
  • Caller ID units may assist in obtaining information for telephone solicitors. Telemarketers are prohibited from blocking their name and phone number from Caller ID.
How do you stop telemarketing calls?
  • To stop violators, get as much information as you can from the solicitor, such as name of the caller, name of the company, phone number, and address.
  • Tell the solicitor to place your name and number on their own "do not call" list.
    It is against the law for them to call you again.
  • The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free consumer service sponsored by the Direct Marketing Association. Write to TPS to be placed on a national "do not call" list, effective for 5 years. This will not stop all calls, but will help reduce the number of solicitation calls you receive.
Write to:
Telephone Preference Service
Direct Marketing Association
P.O. Box 9014
Farmingdale, NY 11735-9014

Especially when you can buy a domain - and get an email address with it - for $8-$9 a YEAR.

The exception is gmail. The techies find it COOL. Get it anywhere, and it has the best spam filter goin'.

You said the exception is gmail. Does it still "have the best spam filter"? I need a new personal email address as the old one is spamed out. Can't decide to go with yahoo or gmail? Any recomendations to this???

You said the exception is gmail. Does it still "have the best spam filter"? I need a new personal email address as the old one is spamed out. Can't decide to go with yahoo or gmail? Any recomendations to this???

Use gmail, as stated in you're other thread the spam filters are superb compared to Yahoo.

Another thing to consider is that Yahoo is infamous for it's delays re: delivering emails. I sent an email from my gmail to my yahoo account yesterday to test a new signature, and it took over 1 hr for it to hit my inbox.

Also, if you ever use your personal email address for business purposes, you'd be much better off having an @gmail.com vs @yahoo.com, it's all about perceptions.

I think Peeler is gone. Not forgotten though.

He must be busy selling insurance to all the free leads he's getting from being on 1st page google.

Back