Strategy for Beginning A Career

I have twenty years sales experience. I have never given Insurance a try because the startup has never been finanically feasible for me. I require 80k plus just to make ends meet. That is a bare minimum.

At this point, I would like to form a relationship with a company that will guide me through the licensing process and provide me with the support I need to establish myself. This would initially have to be on a part time basis, for reasons cited above. I would have to start at ground zero in terms of licensing, product knowledge, etc. My preference would be to focus on life and annuity products. The objective would be to gradually transition into full time.

What would you do to establish yourself? Is it true that I must actually be affiliated with a company to begin the licensing process? Would you recommend that I consider specific companies?

I live in Florida.

Thank you for any assistance or advice you may be able to provide.

Last edited:
Not sure how Florida works specifically, but generally speaking, no need to be affiliated with any company while working on licensing. If you were planning to get a series 6 or 7 license, then yes. However, for life/health, you can begin preparing on your own. Plan to spend around $350 for study materials and to pass the exam the 1st time.

Your best bet will be to study on your own and pass the exam. Once that's done, you'll be more marketable to existing agencies/carriers. Good luck!

Thank you both. So I can go through the state agency and prepare for and take the life/health examinations. Will do.

Can you recommend some companies for me to look into; those with good reps and product lines and that are open to me working initially part time and on a flex schedule?

I have noted the recommendation to avoid MLM.

----------

Ok. I have signed up for the 60 hour online course from an approved provider.

Florida 2-15 Life, Health & Variable Annuity

Thank you for your help, and if anyone has any further suggestions, I will be checking this thread periodically.

Thank you both. So I can go through the state agency and prepare for and take the life/health examinations. Will do.

Can you recommend some companies for me to look into; those with good reps and product lines and that are open to me working initially part time and on a flex schedule?

I have noted the recommendation to avoid MLM.

----------

Ok. I have signed up for the 60 hour online course from an approved provider.

Florida 2-15 Life, Health & Variable Annuity

Thank you for your help, and if anyone has any further suggestions, I will be checking this thread periodically.

Are you looking for p&c or life and health. I see above you are going to get your life and healthy license. I am on the p&c side in Florida and can give you some names and numbers of companies that will guide you in the right direction of starting your own agency.

Are you looking for p&c or life and health. I see above you are going to get your life and healthy license. I am on the p&c side in Florida and can give you some names and numbers of companies that will guide you in the right direction of starting your own agency.

Life and Health. That's what my father was in many moons ago. He was actually quite successful

What I want is some advice on what company to go with after I am licensed. I want a fair commission structure. I want felixible and effective training that I can access on my own time. I want marketing guidance that makes sense. Finally, it has to be part-time flex schedule.

In the past I have looked at insurance. The two reasons I never bit were 1) I was scared the start up would be too painful financially, and 2) they wanted me to list all my friends and relatives sort of as my initial target market. I found this highly suspect. It made me doubt their credibility.

You know, P&C nevery really occurred to me.

----------

Last edited:
I agree. Be careful of some offers. They are MLM and want you to recruit recruit recruit. Basically they want your contacts and leads handed over to them.

And not only will you pay to join, but the first thing they'll want is to make you a client. And you won't learn about insurance, you'll be taught about MLM'ing. You may as well be selling widgets!

I agree. Be careful of some offers. They are MLM and want you to recruit recruit recruit. Basically they want your contacts and leads handed over to them.

Ok, got it. What companies fit the following profile;

1. Sold products
2. Good pay structure
3. Good training accessible on flex time
4. Maybe some decent mentoring with regards to marketing or prospecting.
4. Will allow me to break into the business on a part time basis.

So what company's fit. I need specific company names if anyone has that type of info, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm committed to transitioning into full time, once I see the big picture and the light goes on. The objective is not extra money. The objective is a career transition.

Ok, got it. What companies fit the following profile;

1. Sold products
2. Good pay structure
3. Good training accessible on flex time
4. Maybe some decent mentoring with regards to marketing or prospecting.
4. Will allow me to break into the business on a part time basis.

So what company's fit. I need specific company names if anyone has that type of info, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm committed to transitioning into full time, once I see the big picture and the light goes on. The objective is not extra money. The objective is a career transition.

Do not do U65 health right now. Its chaos and we have no idea what 2017 looks like.

Do Medicare. Look at medicareagenttraining.com and medicare101. (I think. Its Daytona Guy and Greensky)

Back