String of Bad Luck . . . Or the Norm?

helpful_agent

Hi, all -

Thanks again for offering such a fantastic forum. I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned here. I apologize in advance, as this post is going to fall into the "venting" category!

I'm writing to see if my recent experiences are just a string of bad luck or if they are the norm in the independent health market.

I took over my father's business when he passed away and have worked with a local GA to revisit his active clients who've had rate increases and need to change carriers. My first few experiences with this were ideal -- relatively healthy people who were easily accepted by their new carrier.

In the last month, however, I've run into several road blocks and am starting to get extremely frustrated with "the system." I'm not necessarily mad at the carriers -- insurance is called "insurance" for a reason, and it makes sense that they'll decline people with health issues. I'm more upset with the powers-that-be who allow corporate employees to enjoy guaranteed approval while small business owners fret over a sinus infection for fear of being locked out of good coverage.

Here are the specific examples that are driving me nuts:

1) Forty-ish year old man had open-heart two years ago. Won't be able to re-apply with any carrier until 2009. Vulnerable to soaring rate increases until then.

2) Forty-ish husband and wife. Husband had successful hernia surgery in November '06 and wife has history of depression including one hospitalization and daily medication. They'll get accepted with the new carrier, but both conditions will be ridered. Currently weighing whether it's worth it to switch providers given these restrictions.

3) Sixty-ish husband and late-fifties wife. Husband sailed through underwriting without a problem, despite the fact that he hasn't been to the doctor in ten years. (In theory, he could have all sorts of undiagnosed medical issues, but the carrier did not request a physical.) Wife had high cholesterol results at a health fair last summer, went to her primary care physician, and was tossed into a month-long series of unnecessary and misread tests. Carrier requested her medical records and found she has cholesterol of 260 (refused treatment), marginally high b.p. (controlled with moderate meds), liver and kidney cysts (her doc says "everyone" has these), moderately high blood glucose levels, and GERD. Automatic decline, and my GA says no carrier in their right mind will touch her. She's now stuck with her old plan and its doubled-rates. Despite being a very kind woman, she's now VERY mad at me because I'm not able to reverse the Decline. Her stance: "Everyone at my age has these problems." The trick is -- she's pretty much right. We'll probably switch her husband to the new policy, but they'll pay a combined $700/mo. for high-deductible plans.

4) New renewal notice that I haven't touched yet -- will probably break down and call this afternoon. Forty-ish couple who's rates doubled from $350/mo. to $700/mo. with Assurant at renewal. I'm sure I'll make that call to the client and find out they've accumulated 10 new medical problems between them and aren't touchable by any other carrier. Wanna bet?

So, after all that, here's my question: is it that difficult to find healthy small-business owners who are capable of getting through underwriting? Is it normal to have four-in-a-row in the "problem-children" category? These aren't random #'s out of a phone book. They're all clients who had at some point been healthy and have had coverage through my Dad for 5-10 years. They're good people, and it literally sickens me to watch them pay $700/mo. (and rising) for high deductible plans that don't really offer much bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance for any little bit of inspiriation (or commiseration) you can share! And, thanks for listening :?

I feel your pain

My decline rate now on individual health insurance is about 50%. Carriers are taking less and less risk and unfortunately clients are having more and more health issues (minor yes, but issues nonetheless).

Wait until you hit the Lipitor/GERD crowd. Seems like everyone is either on Lipitor for cholesterol or Protonix/Nexium/etc. for reflux. No way, Jose for underwriting.

Not sure what state you are in and what the rules are, but in CA groups of 2 to 50 are guaranteed-issue. I find that most very small businesses can qualify either by changing from Sole Prop to another form (corp or partnership) or by having one spouse on payroll. I tend to go that way because I know I can get them coverage.

I also do a lot of HIPAA for those who qualify and major risk if we have to go that avenue.

As long as there is underwriting and miracle medications, more and more people will no longer qualify for a health plan.

I start with GI and work backwards unless I am dealing with a client that has a perfect medical history (or near perfect).

Also, it is a good idea to get to know your carriers in terms of their underwriting standards. They do vary and clients may be acceptable to one carrier while a decline with another. Here in CA I find Blue Cross CA will often take a case that the others have highly rated or declined, not always, but certainly enough to give it a shot.

Dave

Re: I feel your pain

Dave020 said:
Wait until you hit the Lipitor/GERD crowd. Seems like everyone is either on Lipitor for cholesterol or Protonix/Nexium/etc. for reflux. No way, Jose for underwriting.

Hell, I'm 32 and have been on a statin for nearly a year now. Doctors are prescribing those things like candy now days. If individual health companies are declining those cases, then individual coverage has become even more of a joke than it used to be.

Re: I feel your pain

I start with GI and work backwards unless I am dealing with a client that has a perfect medical history (or near perfect).

Would you be kind enough to elaborate on what you mean by starting at GI and working backwards? I imagine GI refers to Guaranteed Issue plans, however, I am not entirely sure. Thanks.

-J.R.

Sorry, yes guaranteed-issue is where I start. I look at it like "what do I know you can get for health insurance" and then move to "what is the possibility of getting..." mode.

I work it with small group, major risk and HIPAA to see where in those options they fit. Since I know I can place all three if they qualify, I know I can get them some kind of health insurance. From there I work back to underwritten coverage to see if that will fit. If I have someone who just had a quadruple bipass 3 months ago, or is pregnant, then I know there is no need to even go into underwritten options. So then I know I am dealing with one of three guaranteed-issue possibilities.

For me it is simple, I want the client, I want the client insured and I want to get the client the best option for that insurance given the medical situation.

Sometimes it is in the gray area, for example someone who "could" pass underwriting perhaps with a rating or possible decline that is coming off of continuation. I go HIPAA first, then once they are enrolled, have them submit an application for underwriting. If they are declined, I already have them on HIPAA so it's bummer but not a huge bummer.

If they own any kind of business I get to work on the small group approach. Many mom and pops will gladly form a partnership so that their business qualifies for small group guaranteed-issue.

Some may disagree, it's just the way I do it :)

Dave

1) Forty-ish year old man had open-heart two years ago

Depending on the type of surgery (bypass, stents, etc) he may be stuck for a long time if you want to try individual coverage.

2) Forty-ish husband and wife

Depression with a hospitalization is another toughie. The hernia shouldn't be a problem since it has been repaired. Back to the depression, if only one hospitalization, and far enough in the past, she may be able to get coverage, or you may need to leave her where she is now.

3) Everyone at my age has these problems."

No, they don't. Leave her alone & move on.

is it that difficult to find healthy small-business owners who are capable of getting through underwriting?

Not really. You are snake bit. Get over it. Things will be better next week.

My decline rate now on individual health insurance is about 50%

Have you bothered to read your underwriting guides? I have fewer than 10% declines and most of those are surprises where someone failed to mention things that are in MIB.

I think the response you're looking for is "welcome to health insurance." You aren't dealing with anything I'm not dealing with. Since I switched to telemarketing small biz owners my closing ratio is 1 out of 15 mainly due to health conditions (as opposed to the 1 out of 8 health-filtered internet leads I was closing.) In fact, if it weren't for health conditions I'd be doing triple the business I'm currently doing. So it's not a run of bad luck and for me if I'm not getting at least 45 leads a week it's over.

One thing you'll come to realize after doing this for a while is consider yourself blessed if you don't have health conditions.

The deal I got yesterday was an uninsured self-employed family. Husband is diabetic so I had to write him with the state plan. Wife had atypical hyperplacia - pre-cancerous cells with a biopsy three years ago. Fully recovered but on Tamoxifen for prevention. Best I could do for her was rider. It is what it is.

Back