Struck Unattended Vehicle..Alcohol Involved..No Charges

R324

I was involved in an accident in a parking lot. I backed into a vehicle and left, minimal damage to the other vehicle, none to mine. When I came back the owner of the vehicle was there and a police officer. He said had I not came back I could have been arrested for hit and run. I had been drinking at a sporting event. The officer checked my eyes and said I needed to find another way home. No charges, not even a ticket was filed. The officer asked the other driver if she wanted a report done or just simply swap information. She said no report and just swap info.

I have already filed a claim with my insurance company.

Since no hit and run, or alcohol, or any charges at all were charged on me will I face further issues with my insurance company? Other then obviously being in the "fender bender" as the officer called it?

nope. shouldn't be no further issues. insurance company will pay the liability claim and then probably raise your rates at renewal.:laugh:

Since you've already filed a claim, I assume the damage was worse than you wanted to pay out of pocket. You didn't mention a dollar amount. Have you seen the estimate?

keep in mind that even if this doesn't go on your driving record, it will still show up on a CLUE report as an "at-fault accident" once the insurance company pays the claim. some insurance companies ding you 3 years that, others 5 years.

Not here to lecture you, but you are damn lucky you didn't go to jail.

I second that. Sounds like you should have gone to jail.

Yes I know that, and it is definitely my wake up call.

Just wanted to make sure I wont face further scrutiny from my insurance because of the other issues. But it seems like since no charges were filed there wouldn't really be any chance of that occuring.

Cop didn't witness anything, hard to do an arrest in this situation. Yes, the impairment was there, but since it sounds like he walked up to the situation, not drove up (cop may not have seen him driving), its hard to arrest him for walking, unless it public intoxication.

Its one of those, the stars aligned for you. Thankfully, you went back to the scene, the right thing to do (after you left). It kept it from getting a lot worse than it could have been.

Dan

I was involved in an accident in a parking lot. I backed into a vehicle and left, minimal damage to the other vehicle, none to mine. When I came back the owner of the vehicle was there and a police officer. He said had I not came back I could have been arrested for hit and run. I had been drinking at a sporting event. The officer checked my eyes and said I needed to find another way home. No charges, not even a ticket was filed. The officer asked the other driver if she wanted a report done or just simply swap information. She said no report and just swap info.

I have already filed a claim with my insurance company.

Since no hit and run, or alcohol, or any charges at all were charged on me will I face further issues with my insurance company? Other then obviously being in the "fender bender" as the officer called it?

I personal think you should have been shot on the spot. You could have killed someone. What was your plan? To drink and then drive home. I bet you didn't learn your lesson from this.

I lost my best friend when I was 19, to someone like you that decide to drive home after a couple of beers.

You are so selfish. Even in this post, all you care about is yourself.

Dont you have any shame?

Wake up and get some help!

Since this happened in a parking lot, I don't see where there would be a DUI. Doesn't that apply to driving on public roads?

State lawmakers are getting better at closing those loopholes about driving drunk on private property. Many, if not most states can bust a drunk driver on private property nowadays.

Last edited:
Since this happened in a parking lot, I don't see where there would be a DUI. Doesn't that apply to driving on public roads?

Rick

Not in my state. If you are in actual physical control of the vehicle (meaning you have the keys and are behind the wheel, even if the car is parked), you can be arrested and charged with DUI.

Back