Struggling With Study

I am new here. I am 55, and am having a tough time studying for my Texas L & H License. I'm using the EXAM FX online Study Material. I am studying hard, and retaining, making 85-90 on the practice tests, but it just seems to take a longer time to get through it, this I find somewhat discouraging. Any suggestions?

I'm also wondering if the EXAM FX route is the best way to go, I just dread the idea of the 3 day cram sessions at a School, but I have been told that for many people this works best for them.

I've always wanted to work in Insurance but took a different Career path. Since being laid off a year ago, and now only working P/T I have decided to revisit the idea. Age can be a factor in many Industries, but my gut feeling is that you can never be too old to sell Insurance.

Anyway...good to be here and welcome any suggestions.

Amakky

when you do practice test, A) read the question B) memorize the correct answer ONLY

This teqnique allows only correct answers to stay in your memory.

After memorizing 5-6 test samples, then do the real test samples and if you score 80% or more, you will definitely pass the state exam.

after getting licensed you know what you don't know, and you will learn quickly.

Just keep taking the practice exams.

I only used the practice exams to help me prepare
for my state lic. exam.

I started with just 2-3 chapters at a time and kept building
until I could pass all of them.

Good luck!

P.S. I concentrated only on the right answers only.

Last edited:
85-90 is fine. What's your real question?

Mine is - what kind of name is Amakky?

First Name is Anthony....last name is McC...Something.

I've just heard so much about how hard the Test is, even for people who scored well on the practice tests, guess I'm just over-anxious!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
when you do practice test, A) read the question B) memorize the correct answer ONLY

This teqnique allows only correct answers to stay in your memory.

After memorizing 5-6 test samples, then do the real test samples and if you score 80% or more, you will definitely pass the state exam.

after getting licensed you know what you don't know, and you will learn quickly.

Thanks Much, great tips and I'm gonna use them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Just keep taking the practice exams.

I only used the practice exams to help me prepare
for my state lic. exam.

I started with just 2-3 chapters at a time and kept building
until I could pass all of them.

Good luck!

P.S. I concentrated only on the right answers only.

Memorizing the correct answers, and just sticking with it, seems to be the way to go. Thanks for your encoragement.

Last edited:
I would say never memorize answers!
Why? You are memorizing an answer to a specific question. What are you going to do when you get a similar yet very different question?

Learn the material.
Read the questions carefully ( and be prepared for double negatives!)
Read all the answers.
And if you can't get the answer quickly, re-read the question carefully.

And although you do want to pass the first time...remember that you only have to score a certain percent correct ( 80% in my case...so I could get 20 out of 100 questions wrong) and you can retake the tests ( that helped the anxiety level with me)

To the original poster. I went through this 1 1/2 years ago at 51 to obtain a P&C license.
I am not a great book learner or tester....but I studied hard and passed with 96/89/98 on the casualty/property/laws exams. Oddly...I was most confident on property, scoring 93+ in practice exams....yet it was my worst real score

Last edited:
I just completed and passed L&H for KS last week.

I broke the studying down in "chunks" so the material would be easier to digest.

Take a chapter or two at a time, take the chapter tests, review the questions you missed, and repeat the process.

Same thing on the comprehensive practice exams: take the test; review misses; re-take test.

Perfect score is not the goal - just passing is all you need to do. A perfect/high score will not make you more successful.

Hope this helps.

Go the bookstore and see if they have an Arco study guide with a disk in the back with practice questions and answers. I took the Series 7 test which is far, far, far more difficult than the insurance exam and used the Dearborn study material. But you begin to drone out using the same study material and you bump into the same questions etc. I supplemented with the Arco. Arco is pretty light and cheesy so I would not ever recommend using just that. But the last couple weeks before the exam (thanks to my computer eating my dearborn disk) I just used the Arco as a way of coming up with a new set of questions and anwers and explainations and I ended out getting a dynamite score. Memorizing right explanations is probably good (this might even involve understanding) but just memorizing right answers to the same old, same questions - not so good.

Last edited:
There's a secret. These exams are actually ridiculously easy, and formulated ONLY to weed out those who haven't read any of the material and/or those who have absolutely NO clue what they're doing and shouldn't be selling insurance in the first place.

Read the question and answers carefully. More than likely at least 2 of the 4 answers are completely and blatantly incorrect. That gives you at least a 50% right there. If you perform better than a monkey smashing buttons, you should be able to answer the remaining at above 50% accuracy, netting you 75% which I believe is a passing grade in most states. Easy as pie! :)

I would say never memorize answers!
Why? You are memorizing an answer to a specific question. What are you going to do when you get a similar yet very different question?

Learn the material.
Read the questions carefully ( and be prepared for double negatives!)
Read all the answers.
And if you can't get the answer quickly, re-read the question carefully.

And although you do want to pass the first time...remember that you only have to score a certain percent correct ( 80% in my case...so I could get 20 out of 100 questions wrong) and you can retake the tests ( that helped the anxiety level with me)

To the original poster. I went through this 1 1/2 years ago at 51 to obtain a P&C license.
I am not a great book learner or tester....but I studied hard and passed with 96/89/98 on the casualty/property/laws exams. Oddly...I was most confident on property, scoring 93+ in practice exams....yet it was my worst real score

Thanks for the info-good advice.

amakky

Back