Stumped with Part B Question

ser93boy

Expert
I went on an appointment last night with a prospect that I thought I prequalified properly over the phone.

She turned 65 in February of this year, is still employed, but does not provided with enough hours for her employer to cover her medical insurance.

I sat with her and went over a MA plan that she wanted to enroll in. When she gave me her Medicare card, the Part A effective date was February of this year and Part B effective was July of 2016.

She said that she was not sure whether or not she wanted to take retirement benefits at the moment but she definitely wanted her Medicare parts A and B.

I advised her to decide exactly what she wants to do, then go sown to the SSA and either pay for part B on her own, or take her retirement benefits and have the part B premium deducted.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not the July of 2016 part B effective date a mistake on behalf of the prospect/SSA or is there something else that I'm missing?

Last edited:
I'm guessing she didn't pay her quarterly bill, called SS, got reissued for the next possible effective date, 7/1/16.

I had one guy, missed a payment early this year, called SS, they said send in check. He did, they cashed it. Then he gets a letter saying his reinstatement is not honored, and a new Medicare card with 7/1/2016 for part B. He's still trying to find out when he gets his money back.

It is definitely the consolation prize, but there is an off chance that a carrier will issue a Med/Supp to someone without Medicare B. They will only pay their normal share, so it's a bit like having 20/80 coverage instead of 80/20, for the next months. I had one of these who had to wait until 7/1/15. One carrier in my state, Anthem, does this. They don't do it in any other states I know of.

I went on an appointment last night with a prospect that I thought I prequalified properly over the phone.

She turned 65 in February of this year, is still employed, but does not provided with enough hours for her employer to cover her medical insurance.

I sat with her and went over a MA plan that she wanted to enroll in. When she gave me her Medicare card, the Part A effective date was February of this year and Part B effective was July of 2016.

She said that she was not sure whether or not she wanted to take retirement benefits at the moment but she definitely wanted her Medicare parts A and B.

I advised her to decide exactly what she wants to do, then go sown to the SSA and either pay for part B on her own, or take her retirement benefits and have the part B premium deducted.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not the July of 2016 part B effective date a mistake on behalf of the prospect/SSA or is there something else that I'm missing?
Part B effective dates surrounding turning 65 are delayed if you apply just after turning 65. This only affects you during this period of time.

Back