Submit an Application for Medicare Supplement

sam816

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
After an application is signed, within what time frame must the agent submit it to the carrier? I am asking because the client does not know to what month her existing supplement plan is already paid for, therefore we left out the effective date to start the new plan and I have to wait for her instruction on that.

TIA.

You could go ahead and submit it now and just put TBD in the effective date then call them when you hear from client.

If you collected money they want it ASAP....usually 24 hrs.

Most carriers want submission within 2 weeks of signatures. You can post date for up to 2 months. Please call your carrier first to verify.

I have had 2 instances where client needed to move up the effective date 1 month after app was approved but before policy began

It was no problem
I believe 1 carrier was AARP the other Mutual
but I could be wrong on Carrier's

But what was said on both occasions was as long as it has not taken effect
effective date can be moved

----------

I once had the same issue with PDP
and with that it was much more of an issue

we had to cancel then reapply

you also may want to check with your state regulations.
If i'm not mistaken, FL for example, it is law that you have to submit the application with 24 hrs...

you also may want to check with your state regulations.
If i'm not mistaken, FL for example, it is law that you have to submit the application with 24 hrs...

I think that's just Mapd and PDP

in Fl AARP for instance, A lot of times, I mail application to client
they sign and mail to AARP

I know there has been a few times they mailed a week after signed

----------

Is it really that hard to call the current carrier to see where she stands billing-wise?

She could also call carrier and tell them she wants to cancel
as of the 1st

They have to return any payment that is Paid for cov after the first

If there is any question of approval you can set for Oct 1st
This way she has enough time to get approved and call current carrier

I've never heard that for med supps. You only mean MA

I suppose its possible i am mistaken.

But I was under the impression that was for all lines of business, including supps and life. I thought I remembered reading that in one of my CE courses when I first got licensed

I suppose its possible i am mistaken. But I was under the impression that was for all lines of business, including supps and life. I thought I remembered reading that in one of my CE courses when I first got licensed

Nope. Med supps have never had that. I held on to a UHC app one time for a week or 2 after it was dated and signed. That's a CMS rule to have the apps submitted ASAP and med supps are not subject to those same rules as MA plans.

Now here comes Vic to tell you, all the more reason to sell med supps ugh

Last edited:
Back