Subrogation Letter

fallor421

I found this forum while trying to understand a subrogation letter I received and figured someone might be able to give me a better idea of what's happening.

I was in a small accident in a parking lot where my car and another truck both backed up into each other. My car ended up with some significant damage while the truck had no visible damage. We ended up calling the cops, and they said as it was private property they wouldn't issue a report. I called my insurance company, and the end game ended up was roughly "as you were both in motion backing up, it's 50/50." I go about the process of getting my car repaired, and pay my $500 deductible. Then I get a letter saying that they are sending my claim to subrogation in an effort to recover my deductible.

Now for my question - if it was found to be 50/50, why is it going through this process? And also - if they recover any money from the other driver's insurance company, does it go to my deductible first, or do they recover their payments first?

Thanks!

if it was found to be 50/50, why is it going through this process?

Because the subrogation rep is seeking the entire cost of the claim including your deductible and is likely going to agree to settling for half with the other driver's insurance company.

if they recover any money from the other driver's insurance company, does it go to my deductible first, or do they recover their payments first?

I can't speak for your insurance company but many companies do refund the deductible off the top of whatever is collected.

To confirm that call the person that sent you that letter, not your agent.

Back