Suggestions for resolving Social Security error in birthdate? Medicare is unusable

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Any suggestions/experience?
Aside from simply filing claims with the incorrect birthdate still showing in the system at Medicare, seeking ideas for getting the correction finalized through local Social Security office.
The record apparently has been corrected in Social Security's system, but the local office hasn't been successful in paperwork to go on to Medicare, whose phone reps can't do the correction, stating that the paperwork has to originate at the local Social Security branch.
This has gone on for six months now, with at least 4 visits to local office, and claims that they are sending in paperwork.
Next step may be appeal to the local US House of Representative's office, just down the street from the Medicare enrolled person's business.
The original error for this UK born, now US citizen, was years ago when the original SS card was applied for. In Europe one says the day of the month first, then the month. Unfortunately the date of birth is less than 12, so the mixup occurred, with the month and day reversed.

Excellent information.
Also interested in any experience with interventions by elected officials offices.
This income adjustment issue was mentioned by the SS clerk once, but as it is understood from calling SS directly, they did change the date in the Social Security system, just not Medicare. There are no outstanding medical bills. The birthday difference simply reverses the month and day to make the wrong date one month earlier than the actual date. Although it would readjust the benefit calculation, it's not likely to be a big #, & worth avoiding their remaining lifetime explaining why the date would need to be faked in medical records. Plans are to wait until age 70 to collect SS, so there is time to adjust income calculations.
I looked for how the local offices are to notify Medicare, what forms, etc. So many if/then trails to follow.

There is an easier solution.

Just tell them to change their birthdate.

I have a friend from Africa, when she came here as a child her birthday was put down as 1/1. So while her real birthday is in April, as far as the government is concerned it is 1/1.

On the bright side, she got to legally drink like 4 months early.

And I'm only half joking.

I have run into 2 people in the last 3 days with birthday issues. Both have been on Medicare for 7+ years, they both have tried to resolve, both now just give the date Medicare shows vs. actual birthday, drivers license shows correct date, just Federal Government won't correct.

I have ran into many over the years & they all gave up, just used the birthday Medicare & Social Security has instead of actual birthday.

I have run into 2 people in the last 3 days with birthday issues. Both have been on Medicare for 7+ years, they both have tried to resolve, both now just give the date Medicare shows vs. actual birthday, drivers license shows correct date, just Federal Government won't correct.

I have ran into many over the years .

I suspect that you just identified the reason for the administrative finality rules in regard to changing the Social Security Master Beneficiary Record cited in the link I posted. If the problem is as common as your experience suggests, there would be horrendous cost and confusion to change all the dates and benefit computations involved and to see the changes flowed correctly and timely through all the government systems.

I had a lady whose birthdate showed 10 days later than her actual birth. She went to the Social Security office and was basically told changing it could cause a problem with her starting her Medicare. I don't know if the person just didn't know how or want to handle it but in the end, the lady decided to just stick with the wrong birthdate.

Sad part is those customers have had to change birthdays at Doctors office for billing, they misrepresent date of birth to insurance companies, but the government refuses to fix it. Could at some point the insurance company start rejecting claims based on misrepresenting or fraud?

Back