Suggestions to Handle this Ameri-Life Agent Door Knock Aftermath

yogooglethis

Guru
1000 Post Club
I went to an appointment to lady's home who took out AARP/UHC Plan F when she turned 65 effective 11/1/2011. I had signed scope for all products but I thought I was just going to change her from a plan F to N to lower her premium . She was an AARP/UHC direct to consumer policyholder so I would still get a commission and she would still retains the 65 entry age. ( BTW according to the UHC contract amendment emailed to agents last week they are NOT going to pay us for these type of switches in 2014).

When I get there she shows me a card for the AARP MedicareComplete MA Plan.I asked when she got that and she says on 10/18/12 a guy knocks on her door from the AmeriLife agency to sell her life Insurance and after he replaced her existing Life insurance with a company called Sun Sentinel he then enrolled her in the AARP Medicare MA plan on same appointment.He didn't explain what the MA plan was and how it was different from the plan F and didn't explain that she needed to cancel the plan F. In fact when I ask to see her plan F supplement card she told me the agent had took it with him telling her she wouldn't need it anymore.

Since this client and her children wanted her to have a Med supp over a MA plan because of her doctors and her plan F was still active I enrolled her in to the AARPrx Saver plan using the LIS SEP for 9/1/13 which of course now she has Medicare and plan F effective 9/1/13

I told her I would be back to take care of the Med supp change from F to N since I wasn't going to make it effective until 11/1 because she had a scheduled doctors appointment in October and I didn't want her to eat the $ 147.00 part B deductible after she has been paying for plan F for so long.

My question is if I write the application for the AARP plan N now to replace the AARP plan F for a 11/1/13 effective is this a replacement of the MA or of the Med supp or both? If it is considered a replacement of the MA would that effect her eligibility to retain the age 65 entry age band with AARP/UHC?

If she request a 12/1 effective date the question on the application that ask in the last 63 days have you been on a MA plan can be answered " No " and I know for sure she would retain her age 65 entry age rate band.

Then there is the possibility that she may be able to get a refund of her premiums back to 11/1/2012 when the agent switched her and didn't explain that she couldn't even use her plan F.

I looked up the agent on DOI and he currently isn't even appointed with UHC and maybe he wasn't even appointed with them when the enrollment took place.It was a paper application so maybe he had one of those ghost writers to help him for a kickback.

Should I just suggest she does a 12/1 13 effective date to be positive she retains age 65 age band or does it even matter in this case?

I don't think you can replace the MA plan with a med supp. She would have to go back to original Medicare before she could pick up the med supp. But the ameri life agent should not have been able to sell her a FE policy and MA plan on the same day. You have to wait 48 hours from the FE appointment to be able to do that. It is possible she could contact Medicare and explain what happened an they might allow her to change back to original Medicare.

I don't think you can replace the MA plan with a med supp. She would have to go back to original Medicare before she could pick up the med supp. But the ameri life agent should not have been able to sell her a FE policy and MA plan on the same day. You have to wait 48 hours from the FE appointment to be able to do that. It is possible she could contact Medicare and explain what happened an they might allow her to change back to original Medicare.

From the sounds of it she never cancelled the med supp. She has both.

I would call UHC and explain the situation. UHC should keep her attained age of 65 though

FYI she probably has already met her her $147 if she has been to the doctors a couple times this year. Her Plan F would of paid it.

FYI she probably has already met her her $147 if she has been to the doctors a couple times this year. Her Plan F would of paid it.

Nope, she hasn't been on original medicare all year. Nothing has applied to the deductible.

How is it that the great AARP UHC didn't catch this duplication? She should get a refund for her plan f premiums paid since the effective date of the MA.

When she gets the check go back and sell her a better life policy.

Makes me sad such scumbags can get appointed with them, or any company.

I"m a bit surprised UHC didn't catch it.

How is it that the great AARP UHC didn't catch this duplication? She should get a refund for her plan f premiums paid since the effective date of the MA.

When she gets the check go back and sell her a better life policy.

I am not going to try to sell her life insurance I am going to help her get her policies back. She had 20,000 DB for only $ 70.78 locked in at age 65 now she is about to turn 67.She called the Florida DOI today to file a complaint to see if she can get her policies back.

She had a 10,000 policy with Mutual of Omaha that she had since 2005 ( age 57 ) that she about 30.00 monthly.The agent lied and told her it was term and she needed to get whole life.It was Whole Life because she got a check for 725.00 cash values.

She had also just taken out a 10,000 with Foresters issued 10/31/12 at age 65 (before the Foresters rate increase ) so it was only $ 40.78

So she had 20,000 total and was paying a total of $ 70.78 and one of the policies was past the incontestable and he replaced both with a 21,000 whole life from Sun Sentinenal ? for $ 84.50 per month.Maybe this agent rationalized the replacement because he increased her DB from 20k for 70.78 to 21K for $ 84.50 ?

He could have just replaced the 10k foresters with a new 15k Foresters and she would have had 25k DB for only $ 89.59. I looked the agent up on the DOI and he like most Amerilife agents are contracted with Foresters so I wouldn't be surprised if she was a recent orphaned account from his agency and that's how he found this prospect since the Foresters was just issued on 10/31/12 and he knocked on her door on 10/18/12.

My biggest problem with this is that the client thought she already had enough life insurance at 20k so she wasn't really even looking to increase it but the agent out an out lied telling her her MOO policy was term and that she needed to get rid of it and get something permanent.

As if this agents behavior could get any worse she also told be there was 2 agents who knocked on her door but it was only 1 agent who wrote both the MA with UHC and the life insurance .She told me the writing agent told her that they work as a team and split commissions for both the MA and life policy .I did a license search with the Fl DOI and do not see the agent as being appointed with UHC currently.Who knows maybe he was at the time.

I am not going to try to sell her life insurance I am going to help her get her policies back. She had 20,000 DB for only $ 70.78 locked in at age 65 now she is about to turn 67.She called the Florida DOI today to file a complaint to see if she can get her policies back.

She had a 10,000 policy with Mutual of Omaha that she had since 2005 ( age 57 ) that she about 30.00 monthly.The agent lied and told her it was term and she needed to get whole life.It was Whole Life because she got a check for 725.00 cash values.

She had also just taken out a 10,000 with Foresters issued 10/31/12 at age 65 (before the Foresters rate increase ) so it was only $ 40.78

So she had 20,000 total and was paying a total of $ 70.78 and one of the policies was past the incontestable and he replaced both with a 21,000 whole life from Sun Sentinenal ? for $ 84.50 per month.Maybe this agent rationalized the replacement because he increased her DB from 20k for 70.78 to 21K for $ 84.50 ?

He could have just replaced the 10k foresters with a new 15k Foresters and she would have had 25k DB for only $ 89.59. I looked the agent up on the DOI and he like most Amerilife agents are contracted with Foresters so I wouldn't be surprised if she was a recent orphaned account from his agency and that's how he found this prospect since the Foresters was just issued on 10/31/12 and he knocked on her door on 10/18/12.

My biggest problem with this is that the client thought she already had enough life insurance at 20k so she wasn't really even looking to increase it but the agent out an out lied telling her her MOO policy was term and that she needed to get rid of it and get something permanent.

As if this agents behavior could get any worse she also told be there was 2 agents who knocked on her door but it was only 1 agent who wrote both the MA with UHC and the life insurance .She told me the writing agent told her that they work as a team and split commissions for both the MA and life policy .I did a license search with the Fl DOI and do not see the agent as being appointed with UHC currently.Who knows maybe he was at the time.

At least you got the "agents" names and she filed a complaint. Hope they pull those scumbags license. They give guys like us a bad name. As long as you continue to help her through this like you have you will have a client for life.

Back