Suicide Clause

actually the suicide clause is what ever your state says it is. Some states do 12 months, some do 24. What the state uses applies to life insurance, group or individual.

actually the suicide clause is what ever your state says it is. Some states do 12 months, some do 24. What the state uses applies to life insurance, group or individual.

Bingo. Most states use the standard 24 months, however not all do. I can't recall the states, but some variations I am aware of include: 12 months and 24 months if sane.

Suicide clauses sunset two years after policy issuance. Since group term plans can (and often are) rotated annually the group plan would almost never pay for a suicide claim.

Even if the employer kept the same group contract for years how would the carrier adjudicate the claims?

Based on how long the employee was covered?

I worked for a carrier that specialized in GTL insurance and none of our contracts contained a suicide clause. I also became familiar with other carriers specializing in GTL and I never recall seeing a suicide clause in any of them.

Group permanent life insurance was a completely different animal and often would have a suicide clause.

Back