Suit Up or Dress Down?

Herkster

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hey everyone!

I'm curious what everyons thoughts are on wearing suits or shirt and tie versus going business casual or casual. I feel like I was born in the wrong era (I'm 26)! I love throwing the suit on and looking nice, but it just isn't something that is expected these days. I watch the show Mad Men and just love that they are suited up every day, like most business people were back in that era.

It seems strange how vastly that the dress code (not really dress code, but you know what I mean) has changed. Jeans and a polo once weren't acceptable at all for dress attire but now it seems to be norm. Don't get me wrong, I love throwing on my boots, a nice pair of jeans, and a polo and walking out the door. But I also love suiting up!

It doesn't really fit in our area (heavy, heavy in farming and the ag industry), but I still enjoy getting all spiffed up!

Hey everyone!

I'm curious what everyons thoughts are on wearing suits or shirt and tie versus going business casual or casual. I feel like I was born in the wrong era (I'm 26)! I love throwing the suit on and looking nice, but it just isn't something that is expected these days. I watch the show Mad Men and just love that they are suited up every day, like most business people were back in that era.

It seems strange how vastly that the dress code (not really dress code, but you know what I mean) has changed. Jeans and a polo once weren't acceptable at all for dress attire but now it seems to be norm. Don't get me wrong, I love throwing on my boots, a nice pair of jeans, and a polo and walking out the door. But I also love suiting up!

It doesn't really fit in our area (heavy, heavy in farming and the ag industry), but I still enjoy getting all spiffed up!

I like to suit up as well. My "daily drivers" are all Hugo Boss suits that I purchased at a steep discount, my 2 "steppers" are MTM that I got at the local haberdasher.

I am business casual on days that I am "playing office" or a more low key in home appointment, shirt and tie if I have someone coming in, and suited up for group presentations and on site business.

Depends on your market. If you are working a market where the clients are dressed up, then you certainly want dress the same. Blue collar market you can go either way but wouldn't bo down t jeans. I seldom wear asuit but do wear dress pants, sport coat, dress shirt and tie. Sometimes go without the tie and wear either a polo or a dress casual shirt. It is better to be overdressed than underdressed but in the long run, do whatever you are comfortable with. I know guys working the FE market that never wear a tie and others that always wear a tie and each group makes an exceptional income.

Depends on your market. If you are working a market where the clients are dressed up, then you certainly want dress the same. Blue collar market you can go either way but wouldn't bo down t jeans. I seldom wear asuit but do wear dress pants, sport coat, dress shirt and tie. Sometimes go without the tie and wear either a polo or a dress casual shirt. It is better to be overdressed than underdressed but in the long run, do whatever you are comfortable with. I know guys working the FE market that never wear a tie and others that always wear a tie and each group makes an exceptional income.

If I am going out on a visit to meet with a farmer, review coverages, or talk to one as a prospect, I'd much rather meet on their turf than in my office. Since I meet them at their house or shop, it is usually around machinery, grain bins, mud, dust, etc. Blue coller is exactly where I'm not, rarely do we meet with other business professionals that are "dressy".

I've only worn jeans a few times, but I rarely do any more (I'm new to this, only a year in). I've never rocked just a sport coat with my dress clothes, but it is something that looks pretty sharp and business casual. Maybe that's something I'll look into!

If I am going out on a visit to meet with a farmer, review coverages, or talk to one as a prospect, I'd much rather meet on their turf than in my office. Since I meet them at their house or shop, it is usually around machinery, grain bins, mud, dust, etc. Blue coller is exactly where I'm not, rarely do we meet with other business professionals that are "dressy".

I've only worn jeans a few times, but I rarely do any more (I'm new to this, only a year in). I've never rocked just a sport coat with my dress clothes, but it is something that looks pretty sharp and business casual. Maybe that's something I'll look into!

I would much rather have them come to the office and have some skin in the game. Depending on your business model though, you may have to sell the appointment first or end up sitting around waiting on a no show.

We have a lot of farms and construction in my area. I have done Boots, Jeans and sport coat many times. Or Boots, jeans and long sleeve dress shirt. My standard is dress shirt, Dockers and business shoes. Up or down from there depending on the client and time of day.

Really is not that big a deal as you get into the business longer. You just know.

Back