Sump Pump Coverage

b61mack

Guru
1000 Post Club
pa/nj
I have a question for the P&C agents. In my other job, i do HVAC/mold remediation. I had a customer who's sump pump failed during the heavy rain, causing water damage.this happened a couple of weeks ago. She bought her HO policy on the phone, from the company direct. Sump pump coverage never came up. She just bought the condo a couple of months ago, and she just had the basement finished off. She lives in NJ. They denied her coverage, because she did not get sump pump coverage. What is the norm, is that an automatic add on? I did a mold remediation spray. I had another customer that had state farm, she lived on top of the mountain. her sump pump failed, she is getting up to 10,000 in repairs. because her sump pump failed. On that job i just got the HVAC side. cleaned out the oil burner, and changed the burner motor.

It's not included in a standard homeowners policy usually. We always ask if there is a finished basement, if so we highly encourage at least $5,000 of coverage.

If it was not offered. What recourse does she have. This is a company direct situation. It is a good selling point for agents. Talking to a call center, leaves you wide open.

If it was not offered. What recourse does she have. This is a company direct situation. It is a good selling point for agents. Talking to a call center, leaves you wide open.

Exactly, and if she didn't request that coverage, I doubt she has any recourse. One of the perils of buying insurance from a call center honestly.

Just remember, NOT EVERYTHING is ever covered under insurance, even if you had every possible endorcement, there will still always be something that isnt covered.....

State Farm covered another client, for up to 10,000. same rain storm. In the northeast we have a lot of basements with sump pumps. most have that cheap stick pump. They burn out very easily. If any of you have a sump pump, invest in a heavy duty submerged pump. the cold water helps it last longer.

Back