Super Confused

mikeller3

WI
Let me start by saying I am not an agent... yet. I do have a license in my state that I need to renew. I have been in sales for almost 20 years and for the last 5 I have been selling home remodeling, in home (like most life insurance guys), on a one day sit process. I am a top level producer in my area and am known in my territory as a producer, just like I'm sure most of you are in your fields, so I do not need to change. That said, I was interested in seeing what was available in the world of sales and threw my resume online. I HAVE BEEN INUNDATED WITH OFFERS FROM INSURANCE COMPANIES. From your typical p&c amfam type guys all the way to the IMO's for FE and MP.

What I seem to be finding is that the life insurance field seems to be pretty lucrative, however it seems to also be laden with the multi level theme, which I am not a fan of.

I have recently been recruited, very aggressively I might add, by AIL and The Leazure Group (which from what I can tell is the relaunch of Art's concept after the NAA washout)

Many of these people are promising income levels of 100+ (which is nbd to me because like I said I am already a top producer in my current industry) But what did appeal to me is that most of these guys say they are producing 120-150 by working only Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and calling for a few hours on Saturday morns or Sunday eves. To me, who is currently working 6 days a week, Monday-Thurday eves and Friday and Sat days until 5 this seems great! Also most are promising the ever repeated "build your own agency/passive income" strategy, that as a General manager and sales manager that has been training sales people for the last 10 years to do what I do, SOUNDS wonderful.

With all that said, I am not afraid if I can close a lead, I close the hardest lead type (canvass-nebulus-"wouldn't hurt would it") leads everyday. BUT...

My question is, for a guy like me this all "seems to good to be true". How does a guy like me find out who is the "real deal" and who is a scam? As a family man in a small town that provides for his traditional American dream style, my wife don't work, honey I'm home lifestyle, I cannot afford to get scammed by some scumbag that is looking to make a fast buck off of me.

What is real, who is not and is 150+ per year really possible on a 3 day a week schedule and a few hours of dialing? Or are these guys just scamming my pants off? Unfortunately as a lifetime sales guy I have a tendency of being and easy sell and as my family grows I would love to spend more time with them. I am gonna stand back and watch the knowledge of the experienced flow. Please provide any insight that you have/want.

Thank you for reading all of this, and thank you in advance for any comments, and sorry for the Super long (doctoral thesis length lol) Question.

p.s. Moderator if this is in the wrong place I apologies up front, please move it as you see fit.

Last edited:
My question is, for a guy like me this all "seems to good to be true".

You already know the answer to this one. 10% success rate for agents after two years. That means 90% NEVER work 3 days a week, nor earn 150k from home.

Right now you're selling tangible products and it sounds like you're good at it. Insurance is simply a promise, air that people have to believe in to own. You can't show quality craftsmanship with pictures of past projects like you probably do now. Short story long, seen lots of "salesmen" from other fields fail terribly in this one.

Good luck with your choice. 26 years in I have had some 6 figure years and some negative income years after expenses. It all depends.

Can a person earn that much in this business? Absolutely. Can it be earned in the first year? Yes. Do many earn that amount in the first year? Nope.

The biggest challenge in this business is getting in front of enough qualified prospects. And I don't care who tells you they can get you "all the leads you'll need" that is the exception and not the norm.

If you are currently earning six figures and living on six figures (meaning you're spending what you make), you'll have a tough time in the first year or two. If you have enough reserves to sustain you then this can be a very rewarding career.

Read this website in its entirety:

An Employment Scam in the Financial Services Industry > HOME

Most of this industry operates under the following mantra:

"Hire 'em in masses, teach 'em in classes, sell all their family and friends, and fire their ***es."

Managers in financial services are LAZY today (well, in most cases). They want you to target everyone you know and try to sell them. Why? It's where the easy sales are and the MANAGER can get paid. You do too... but the manager wants to be paid too.

Now, will you be able to leverage YOUR network to more referrals? Maybe... maybe not.

You have to have a separate and solid marketing plan aside from everything they tell you. Something solid and can get results right away. If you can do that, then your career will be a WHOLE lot better than what the brochure teaches you... 'cause that brochure is LYING.

----------

Also, keep in mind that the licensing process is just a test to see if you're intelligent enough to be held accountable for your actions and recommendations.

You will need good training to get off on the right foot.

I highly recommend Insurance Marketing, Prospecting & Sales Tools, Tips & Training for their training and systems... especially if you don't get it with your first agency or contract or whatever.

You can't beat the home improvement industry! I've ran the canvassing programs for home improvement companies for years.

Easiest lead to generate in the world, in my opinion!

80 doors knocked on generates 7-10 leads every day like clockwork!

With the economy improving it's going to be like the early to mid 2000's again, so I would probably stay where you are!

Only consider insurance if you're in it for the renewals you earn by building a book of business, not necessarily first year commission!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back