Survey For DOOR TO DOOR!

jmatos

Guru
100+ Post Club
Arkansas
I came up with this yesterday for a way to get into homes while out door knocking. I thought I would share for some of the newbies at least. You can tailor any way you would like.

Financial Planning Survey

Hi, my name is (agent). I am an Independent Life & Health Insurance Agent. My purpose for coming by today is because I am personally conducting a survey to evaluate the needs, interests, and opinions about financial planning as it relates to Life Insurance. All I need is about 2 minutes of your time to ask a few questions, and in return for your time I will give this FREE PRESCRIPTION DISCOUNT CARD, Final Wishes Booklet, Etc.

Name_________________________Size Of Family______________ Marital Status______________

1. How often do you think about Death and dying and the importance of planning for the future?________________________________________________________________________
  2. What do you feel is the purpose for Life Insurance?___________________________________
  3. Do you believe an individual can leave their family too much Life Insurance?______________
  4. What is your primary choice when purchasing Life Insurance? (Telephone, Office, Door To Door Agent)__________________________________________________________________
  5. How do you feel about door to door Insurance Agents?________________________________
  6. On a scale from 1-10 how would you rate your knowledge of Insurance Products?___________
  7. If the breadwinner of your home passed away what financial shape would your family be left in?__________________________________________________________________________
  8. Do you currently have Life Insurance?________If Yes Who is Your Provider?______________
  9. Do you have a Life Insurance Agent you see on a regular basis?__________________________
  10. When was the last time you reviewed your coverages with an Insurance Agent?_____________
  11. If the breadwinner of your home become terminally Ill would your Insurance Payments be paid to warrant that you don't lose coverage?_____________________________________________
  12. Is your current insurance policy a level benefit or decreasing benefit?_____________________
  13. Does your insurance premiums remain the same for your whole life or do your premiums increase after a certain age in life?_________________________________________________
  14. Do you feel like you pay too much for Life Insurance?_________________________________
  15. What do you feel would be a much more reasonable price for your Life Insurance?__________
Thanks for taking the timeMr./Mrs. ______ to answer these questions.

Would you mind if Icontacted you in a few days to evaluate your current policies and/or offer some freequotes?________________________________________________________________________

Address______________________________________Age__________________________________

Tobacco_________________________Current Health Conditions_____________________________

Telephone number___________________________email:___________________________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This may also work for those that cold call on the phone as well. I dont do much of that anymore. I

Last edited:
What is important is not the questions so much,but if someone really does it.Most agents will not go door to door for anything.

Last edited:
I think the introduction can be improved upon and that the survey is too long. You can't do that survey in two minutes.

I think the introduction can be improved upon and that the survey is too long. You can't do that survey in two minutes.

feel free to provide a better introduction....if the person has no life Insurance there is only 7 questions. If they have life insurance then there are a few more. Of course I want them to start talking and it take longer than 2 minutes. Perhaps I can say unless you have questions....or something of that nature.

Last edited:
That is more like an appointment fact finder than a door to door survey. The purpose of a door to door survey is just to engage them quickly and qualify if they are a prospect or not.

I used to door knock for FE sales very successfully.

I would knock on the door. Explain who I am, who I'm with and that I'm out knocking on doors in their neighborhood today to raise community awareness about what we do. Then I would hand them a NICE quality pen with our info on it.

Then you ask "Do you have time to answer a short 3 question survey?" they ALWAYS said yes unless they were a true ass.

1. How long have you lived in the Evansville area?* * They would ramble on about where all they have lived. Didn't really matter.

2. Do you own cemetery property?* *Most do. They will tell you all about buying when a parent, child, spouse or sibling died. They bought it years ago when it was real cheap compared to today and that gives you an opportunity to compliment them for planning ahead.

3. How confident are you that you have everything in order that if you died today, your children or spouse would know exactly what to do and have final expense funds available within two or three days of your death?

The third question can be modified for what you are looking for; save taxes, avoid probate, etc.

The whole key to my approach is that YOU are talking to someone in a non-threatening way and basically screening their personality and level of interest in talking to you. What the exact questions are don't really matter as long as it doesn't take but a minute and allows you to size them up, and they to size you up and you either set an appointment or you don't.

I made a fair number of sales doing this. I was very green when I did it. I would sell more today. I invented this who approach and script and my upline at the time didn't believe in it. Talked me out of doing it even though it worked. I told you I was green.
I'll continue on a bit about what I see as the flaws with your survey. First it's too long.

But right off the bat you are going to bring their guard up and make them defend their position.

Do you own life insurance? Yeah, Bub. I got plenty. What's it to ya?* It's too obvious from the very first question that you are going to try to sell them life insurance. You're not uncovering a need, you are pitching a sale (in their mind.)

Compare that to my first question. How long have you lived in this area? What is that selling? Where is this going? People like to talk about where they lived and why they are here and who else lives here near them. I've had people talk 15 minutes on that question and not come up for air.

2nd question. Do you own cemetery property?* *Who asks that? Why is that important?* It's a non threatening question for most people. It tells you whether they are a planner or not. It tells you whether they plan to live here the rest of their life. It tells you whether they need to be shipped somewhere when they die which is MORE of a reason to plan the details as well as the expense. And it gets them mentally thinking that they will die someday which we are all in denial of most days.

3rd question is the one to figure out if they recognize a problem. You are a problem solver standing on their porch, not a life insurance pitchman.

I'm sure my approach can be improved on. But I think it's a good start.

I hope it helps.

Last edited:
That is more like an appointment fact finder than a door to door survey. The purpose of a door to door survey is just to engage them quickly and qualify if they are a prospect or not.

I would knock on the door. Explain who I am, who I'm with and that I'm out knocking on doors in their neighborhood today to raise community awareness about what we do. Then I would hand them a NICE quality pen with our info on it.

Then you ask "Do you have time to answer a short 3 question survey?" they ALWAYS said yes unless they were a true ass.

1. How long have you lived in the Evansville area?* * They would ramble on about where all they have lived. Didn't really matter.

2. Do you own cemetery property?* *Most do. They will tell you all about buying when a parent, child, spouse or sibling died. They bought it years ago when it was real cheap compared to today and that gives you an opportunity to compliment them for planning ahead.

3. How confident are you that you have everything in order that if you died today, your children or spouse would know exactly what to do and have final expense funds available within two or three days of your death?

The third question can be modified for what you are looking for; save taxes, avoid probate, etc.

The whole key to my approach is that YOU are talking to someone in a non-threatening way and basically screening their personality and level of interest in talking to you. What the exact questions are don't really matter as long as it doesn't take but a minute and allows you to size them up, and they to size you up and you either set an appointment or you don't.

I made a fair number of sales doing this. I was very green when I did it. I would sell more today. I invented this who approach and script and my upline at the time didn't believe in it. Talked me out of doing it even though it worked. I told you I was green.

I'll continue on a bit about what I see as the flaws with your survey. First it's too long.

But right off the bat you are going to bring their guard up and make them defend their position.

Do you own life insurance? Yeah, Bub. I got plenty. What's it to ya?* It's too obvious from the very first question that you are going to try to sell them life insurance. You're not uncovering a need, you are pitching a sale (in their mind.)

Compare that to my first question. How long have you lived in this area? What is that selling? Where is this going? People like to talk about where they lived and why they are here and who else lives here near them. I've had people talk 15 minutes on that question and not come up for air.

2nd question. Do you own cemetery property?* *Who asks that? Why is that important?* It's a non threatening question for most people. It tells you whether they are a planner or not. It tells you whether they plan to live here the rest of their life. It tells you whether they need to be shipped somewhere when they die which is MORE of a reason to plan the details as well as the expense. And it gets them mentally thinking that they will die someday which we are all in denial of most days.

3rd question is the one to figure out if they recognize a problem. You are a problem solver standing on their porch, not a life insurance pitchman.

I hope it helps.

Agreed.

This is a fantastic post.

You need to learn the difference between an approach and a fact-finding session.

An approach is a way to qualify people if they have a need, want and can afford a solution to a problem. Remember that life insurance is a solution to a problem. So probe for problems that you can solve, not for problems within the prospect's existing product solutions that they already have.

Fact-finding is about the feelings and facts to help you design a proper solution. It's more in-depth and takes more time. Your "survey" is a cross between the two. It seems more in-depth in some areas, and more like a quiz in others.

If you're going to go door-to-door, then I would focus on the #1 reason why people buy life insurance - to cover a mortgage. I would ask a series of questions designed to get the prospect emotionally involved.

Do you have a mortgage? (Yes or no) (Don't assume that everyone in every home is a homeowner. Some people rent houses too. Since you're just going door-to-door, you don't know.)

Do you have insurance in place to pay off your mortgage for your family if something happened to you or your spouse? (People often won't do things for themselves, unless you give them a reason to act on behalf of someone else. Emphasize this.)

How do you feel about that?

Do you feel it's important?

If I can help you get the coverage you need to protect your family on an affordable basis, would it be worth sitting down and talking about? (Think about it - would you ever recommend an unaffordable solution?)

They will come up with objections. But they are typically a "knee-jerk" reaction to being asked about life insurance. Help them think through what they are really saying.

"My wife can get remarried" - I understand. Do you want your wife to be financially forced to be remarried, or do you want it to be her choice?

"My wife can go back to work." - I understand. Why isn't she working now? Do you want her to be financially forced to go back to work or stay home with the kids? Could she earn the same amount you are earning now?

"It's too expensive." I understand. If I can help you obtain the coverage you need and keep the costs down low, would it be worth talking about?

"I already have life insurance." I understand. (figure out your own response to this one. I'd probably focus more on an ongoing income stream even after the house is paid off.)

"I'm already covered through my work." I understand. (figure out your own response to this one. Focus on the temporary aspect of group term insurance - that it's only as good as long as you work there.)

"I don't need insurance now. My kids are grown and I'll probably retire in the next couple of years." (I'd focus on the nature of social security and what happens upon the death of the 1st spouse.)

Have a conversation with people and build a friendly relationship with them. Help them to smile and feel comfortable talking with you.

If you interrogate them and quiz them about what they have, they may feel uncomfortable... but not because of their situation. They'll feel uncomfortable because of you. Don't "interrogate" them. Most people have absolutely no clue about what they have - if they have anything.

Then, when you have someone who seems like a decent prospect, I'd probably say something like this:

"Let me share with you a little on how I do business. I see myself more as a consultant than as a salesperson. Your problems are my problems that I will help you solve. I'm not going to try to sell you anything during our first appointment together. I'll only take a few moments to learn about your situation and see if we can come up with an affordable strategy. You stay in control and can judge me and my work for yourself. On that basis, can we get together and talk for a while?"

Excellent post DHK!

I especially like the "Do you want your wife to be forced or to have choices" parts.

I hope it helps.

The only question I have is how do you transition into asking for an appointment after your 3 question survey....literally, how do you ask for the appointment/consultation, etc?

Back