Suspension of Part B While Out of Country?

Nikita

Guru
100+ Post Club
Does anyone know if it is possible to suspend payment of Medicare Part B payments if you are out of the country for a few months? My client will not be using her Medicare benefits for at least 6 months and doesn't want to pay for them while she is away. Was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about this. Thanks!

Does anyone know if it is possible to suspend payment of Medicare Part B payments if you are out of the country for a few months? My client will not be using her Medicare benefits for at least 6 months and doesn't want to pay for them while she is away. Was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about this. Thanks!

Not sure, never heard of anything like that. Reminds me of when I broke a bone when I was 16 and couldn't drive for a couple months. Tried to cancel my auto insurance for that time and the company said if I left I would not be coming back.

My thought is that SSA would be slow in stopping her Part B premium collection if it is being done the usual way, i. e., deduction from her SS benefits.

If she is writing quarterly checks due to not receiving SS, she could stop paying the premium. But keep in mind that she would only be able to re-enroll during the GEP for an effective date of 7/1. It would be remarkable if her out-of-the-country dates precisely corresponded with that schedule!

When was the last time she made a claim on her homeowners insurance? If it has been a while has she cancelled that?

If she did cancel/suspend B that should cause termination of her MA/Medigap as well. Would that be a problem for her?

Is she taking out travel health insurance?

Your client isn't too bright, but if he/she wants to do that they would have to disenroll from Part B and it requires either a phone interview or a face to face interview at the Social Security office plus the completion of Form 1763. Then he/she would have to reapply during the general enrollment period for coverage to begin on July 1st.

This is probably one of the dumbest ideas I've every heard

Your client isn't too bright, but if he/she wants to do that they would have to disenroll from Part B and it requires either a phone interview or a face to face interview at the Social Security office plus the completion of Form 1763. Then he/she would have to reapply during the general enrollment period for coverage to begin on July 1st.

This is probably one of the dumbest ideas I've every heard

Thanks everyone, for your input. Yes, I agree. When she first asked me this question my reaction was NO WAY and it was a goofy idea, but over the years doing Medicare I am still learning new things all the time so I just thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys thought...

The suspension could be reasonable for someone who decides to go full expat, moves to another country, then returns to USA after living out of the country for a longer time than 6 months.
Medicare B (or A, but we assume the expat would keep Social Security benefits, therefore also Part A) would do them no good living in another country. Travel benefits are emergency only, no more than 60 days.

Back