Switch Health Insurance After Life Event?

ikaruga

Here's the scenario:

• Current job gives me health insurance. I've already reached deductible w/ current health insurance
  • Having a baby in November (yay!). Since I've already met deductible, we will pay only the coinsurance (that's 20% of approximately 10k, so we expect to pay about $2000)
  • Starting a new job next week with new health insurance. Because I have not met the deductible, the baby will cost me at least $6000! (deductible is 6k, total out-of-pocket-max is 8k)

The question that I have is can I switch to COBRA until the baby is born and then switch to the new employer's health insurance? Or does Obamacare force me to sign up for the new health insurance?

Check with the new employer's health plan. Group to Group often offer deductible carryover to the new plan within the same calendar year. It's possible the new employer plan will give you credit for what you've met on the old employer plan in terms of deductible and OOP maximum.

You should be able to get COBRA on just your wife if you want to...that would certainly save money vs taking family plan.

However I'm not certain if it will be permitted for her to continue COBRA after being covered at your new job.

If she can be on both COBRA and your new plan, that 2nd plan may pay the remaining coinsurance.

Best to ask your old HR Dept soon as possible

Also, find out soon, does the new company give coverage immediately, or after the 1st 30 days, or even may not start coverage until the 1st of the month following a complete 30 days of employment (which theoretically could be 60 days after you start, if your first day is on the 2nd of a month with 31 days)

I'm no expert on this, just been through it recently. ..wife got bit by a copperhead 4 days after prior employment coverage ended...doh!

Back