Switching Careers: Police Work to Insurance?

Greetings all!

Stumbled across this website looking at information on switching job gears. I have no experience in the insurance industry but it has long intrigued me. A quick rundown on my situation:

Currently 6 years + in law enforcement as a police officer. Specialized in traffic crash investigation, DUI work, etc.

Prior to this was in inside sales for five years. Enjoyed the work and was a consistent top 3 producer (out of about 50 salespersons). always enjoyed the consulting side to my job there.

Left because law enforcement was something I always wanted to do, however after having done if, been through some things, seen a lot of things, and been to a few places with it, the "stability" and safety (also now with family) and getting out of shift work seems to be calling me. Having the luxury of time to look around and seeing the economy slowly stabilizing a bit, I'm contemplating getting into the field.

A few questions for you that can help:

1) Getting into a sales agent job, or do you think my background would be better to start in claims?
2) Is claims/appraising a good stepping stone into an agent?
3) I am also looking at aligning with a brand that will take the time to properly help and train new agents, rather than the see what sticks approach. Opinions welcome.
4) Typically speaking, how long does a newbie take to get to the point where you could start your own office, once you have worked inside an agent's office? (I know its kind of vague)

Thanks to everyone. I look forward to participating here.. site has a TON of good information so far.

1) Getting into a sales agent job, or do you think my background would be better to start in claims?
3) I am also looking at aligning with a brand that will take the time to properly help and train new agents, rather than the see what sticks approach. Opinions welcome.
4) Typically speaking, how long does a newbie take to get to the point where you could start your own office, once you have worked inside an agent's office? (I know its kind of vague)

Thanks to everyone. I look forward to participating here.. site has a TON of good information so far.

If you want to be an agent, start in sales. Claims to agent is as awkward a jump as LEO to sales agent.

To answer your third and fourth questions, that's a bit too vague. Do you know what lines you want to write? In an attempt to answer your question about newbie to own office time, you should take at least a few years if you want to know what you're doing. Depending on your situation it may work out fine to work with another agent or for an agency indefinitely. Owning your own office can be more headache than it's worth.

I am only replying to question #1 & 2 because I have personal experience in that area. The rest of your questions are probably better answered by others.
When I got into this industry many years ago, my grandfather (60 yrs in the bus) told me "if you start your career in claims & become an expert in the field, you will understand the business from an angle that few producers do and you will be able to do anything you want". I started in claims with Fireman's Fund and I feel that it was the best career decision I have made. I am now an agency principal & have a claims skill set that few of my competitors have. Good luck in whatever you do!!!

Home office training helps you understand the business in ways most agents never will, but it won't prepare you for a sales career.

The ability to sell is either something you have or something you don't. While skills can be honed, not everyone has the personality for sale.

If you are uncomfortable around people you won't like sales.

Obviously you currently have a job that requires a lot of people skills, but those skills change dramatically once you take off the uniform and gun belt.

People who may respond to your suggestions while in uniform may not respond the same way in street clothes. Your training teaches you to size up the situation and take control which can be one aspect of sales but with one big difference.

A sales person is not perceived as an authority figure.

Insurance sales may or may not be for you, but there is a lot more to it than it may appear.

If I had a job working for the taxpayer like you do, I'd stay there. Taxpayers take good care of their employees.

Insurance is a great business, but don't forget to consider the costs to get there, and what you are giving up with the benefits and goodies for your family. Better shop what it will cost to replace your own insurance for you and your family after you go on your own for starters.

I've never been paid as an "employee". I'm not sure what it would be like to have benefits, but I hear it's a good thing.

Good luck in what every you do!

SokyBrian

Greetings all!

Stumbled across this website looking at information on switching job gears. I have no experience in the insurance industry but it has long intrigued me. A quick rundown on my situation:

Currently 6 years + in law enforcement as a police officer. Specialized in traffic crash investigation, DUI work, etc.

Prior to this was in inside sales for five years. Enjoyed the work and was a consistent top 3 producer (out of about 50 salespersons). always enjoyed the consulting side to my job there.

Left because law enforcement was something I always wanted to do, however after having done if, been through some things, seen a lot of things, and been to a few places with it, the "stability" and safety (also now with family) and getting out of shift work seems to be calling me. Having the luxury of time to look around and seeing the economy slowly stabilizing a bit, I'm contemplating getting into the field.

All I can say is that if you're going to leave salaried position with the city for a commission only insurance sales position even as an independent agent with top contracts I hope you have a living expenses and marketing expenses saved up for the next 3 to 6 months may be even more.

By the content of your post it seems to me like you're looking to do the property-casualty thing. Number 1....E and O. is expensive probably $1000 -$2500 and those are just the numbers that I've seen quoted on this forum.

If you think you need an office you need to pay for office space purchase or lease office furniture computers printers and fax machines phones....etc.

You would need at least one support person and you have to pay them a salary of course.

We haven't even started talking about how are you are going to get clients. I mean basically the one of two ways to get leads......cold calling which you better do for four hours every day or have money to purchase leads

personally if it was me I would look to sell insurance products that are pretty quick turnaround time and that was something that everybody was looking for without a lot of setup costs.

I would look at selling Medicare products life insurance health insurance as a cross sale.

I posted this using Dragon naturally speaking, how did I do?

Greetings all!

Many Police Depts have retirement and Pensions after 20 years, If you are with one, just say another 14, and retire with the pension, and then begin your career in insurance.

He would give his client the feeling that everything would be okay if they listened to him. I figured you were pretty much the same way.

Pretty much.

As long as I have my Rottweiler and gun by my side.

I'm a retired firefighter and I will tell you that this business is much harder than I ever dreamed. I started out with health sales. Still do a few, but recently transistioned to P&C which is going better.

If it were me, I would think long and hard about leaving what you have now, and even harder about a commission job.

Back