Switching from a Med Advantage to a Med Sup

SamIam

Guru
1000 Post Club
I havent sold med advantage that long. Question I have is why can't you switch back to a med sup if you've had a med advantage plan. I know their is a couple exceptions such as the trial right and a couple other sencerios. But I don't understand why if they qualify for underwriting and in IL it's gaurentee issue with bcbs.

Just curious.

The problem isn't qualifying for med supp. The problem is medicare only allows them to enroll or dis-enroll during the annual enrollment time unless they qualify for a special election period.

If they were to dis-enroll from their MAPD plan and join a supp they may not have an enrollment period to join a part D plan. In that case they go without drug coverage until the next AEP and then have to pay penalties.

The problem isn't qualifying for med supp. The problem is medicare only allows them to enroll or dis-enroll during the annual enrollment time unless they qualify for a special election period.

If they were to dis-enroll from their MAPD plan and join a supp they may not have an enrollment period to join a part D plan. In that case they go without drug coverage until the next AEP and then have to pay penalties.

If its trial right this is SEP to enroll in PDP,

Also if they did not have that or otherwise SEP then they would not be able to dis enroll from MA outside of AEP. Since they could not dis enroll, You could not knowingly sell Med Supp.

Apart from That AEP is just about here

If its trial right this is SEP to enroll in PDP,

Also if they did not have that or otherwise SEP then they would not be able to dis enroll from MA outside of AEP. Since they could not dis enroll, You could not knowingly sell Med Supp.

Apart from That AEP is just about here

Technically you can dis-enroll from an MAPD any time by sending a written request to your insurance company. However it is not recommended for the reasons I stated earlier.

Med supp companies will not approve the enrollment until they can provide proof of MAPD dis-enrollment. Wait until AEP and set it up for 2017

Technically you can dis-enroll from an MAPD any time by sending a written request to your insurance company. However it is not recommended for the reasons I stated earlier.

Med supp companies will not approve the enrollment until they can provide proof of MAPD dis-enrollment. Wait until AEP and set it up for 2017

Please don't post information that's inaccurate or untrue.

They cannot disenroll from an mapd it any time with just a letter that is not true at all. They have to have a valid election. also not all carriers require proof of disenrollment for a Medicare supplement to be issued, some do but not all Mutual of Omaha for example just requires a written letter from the client stating they intend to disenroll from their advantage and that is all they need some carriers don't even require that.

Some carriers require disenrollment letter from MAPD as proof before they will process the Medicare supplement outside of AEP, I just don't use companies that make my life difficult in those scenarios I just place the business elsewhere. That's one of the nice things about being independent.

The reason some companies require proof is unfortunately many agents do not make sure the client is able to get off their advantage plan and just go ahead and sell them a supplement and leave them to their own devices which can end up in both plans being active for months at a time. I have seen this scenario. Bad agents hurt all of us unfortunately.

Last edited:
According to Medicare I would 100% agree with you. I have just had to many clients call me looking to enroll into other plans because they have just canceled their current plan with no SEP to enroll into a different plan. But we all know how honest people can be when it comes to their health insurance.

Here is exactly what Medicare says as far as Voluntary Disenrollment.

Medicare Managed Care Manual
I would post the link for you but I am to new to this site. It won't allow me to

50.1 - Voluntary Disenrollment by Member
A member may request disenrollment from an MA plan only during one of the election periods outlined in §§30 and 30.7. The member may disenroll by:
1. Enrolling in another plan (during a valid enrollment period);
2. Giving or faxing a signed written notice to the MA organization, or through his/her employer or union, where applicable;
3. Submitting a request via the Internet to the MA organization (if the MA organization offers such an option); or
4. Calling 1-800-MEDICARE.
If a member verbally requests disenrollment from the MA plan, the MA organization must instruct the member to make the request in one of the ways described above. The MA organization may send a disenrollment form to the member upon request (see Exhibits 9, 9a, and 10).
The disenrollment request must be dated when it is initially received by the MA organization.

Back