Switching from Geico, Accident 2.5 Years Ago

ashishnarang

Hi All,
Need some advice on switching auto insurance. I had an at fault accident 2.5 years ago. Geico immediately bumped up my rates and even now is unwilling to lower them. I'm looking for an insurance company that works in both NJ and TX (I'm moving to TX soon). i have attached my 6 month bill from geico.

1) Do you know which insurers only look at 2 years of accident history?

2) What is an adequate amount of coverage? Is what i have too much?

3) My safe driver course is expiring soon. Whats a good online site to renew the course?

4)When they ask me which vehicle I use for pleasure or work, is there a best answer? How about the miles driven per year?

Thank you,
Appreciate your help

Attachments

• geico.jpg
    geico.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 22
Re: Switching from Gieco, Accident 2.5 Years Ago

Hi All,
Need some advice on switching auto insurance. I had an at fault accident 2.5 years ago. Geico immediately bumped up my rates and even now is unwilling to lower them. I'm looking for an insurance company that works in both NJ and TX (I'm moving to TX soon). i have attached my 6 month bill from geico.

1) Do you know which insurers only look at 2 years of accident history?

2) What is an adequate amount of coverage? Is what i have too much?

3) My safe driver course is expiring soon. Whats a good online site to renew the course?

4)When they ask me which vehicle I use for pleasure or work, is there a best answer? How about the miles driven per year?

Thank you,
Appreciate your help

I would contact an independent agent in TX...every state is different and if you are moving soon there is no sense in switching until you move.

Also, for #4, the best answer is the truth...don't get into a habit of not being truthful with insurance companies or it will come back to give you more trouble than you will want.

Definately speak to an independent agent, that can compare all these big companies for you, rather than you having to give the same information to 5 companies, they could compare all of this for you, one call, simplicity.

As far as I know, all companies look at accidents for 3 years. It's very much the norm, and in some states, based indirectly on law.

I wouldn't bother switching till after you move. Rating factors will be much different and a good company for you now may not be worthwhile after the move. All companies are different when you cross state lines anyway.

I dont know of any company that only looks back at 2 years.

Wait until you move and/or wait til the 3 year mark is up.

You had an accident, did you really expect your rates to go down?

Back