Switiching medigap plans question

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
If a person is already in a medigap plan and has some health issues can they switch over to another medigap carrier without underwriting and are pre-existing conditions covered (or does this vary by state as far as the right to replacement).

Thanks

Winter

If a person is already in a medigap plan and has some health issues can they switch over to another medigap carrier without underwriting and are pre-existing conditions covered (or does this vary by state as far as the right to replacement).

Thanks

Winter
Yes for California on their birthday. Yes for Missouri on the policy anniversary. Yes for AARPs plan.

No for just about everything else.

Rick

Yes for California on their birthday. Yes for Missouri on the policy anniversary. Yes for AARPs plan.

No for just about everything else.

Rick

It works with AARP because they ask no med questions other than end stage renal. Is that correct?

Also, if a client switches from one med supp over to AARP, AARP has to cover the pre-existing. Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Winter

Every med supp application I have seen asks medical questions. If client answers them as no, (which means they qualified) they usually get the coverage immediately EXCEPT if they have pre-existing conditions.

Here is where carriers differ: some will cover pre-ex immediately, and others have a waiting period of 3 or 6 months, unless client had a med supp before that.

So you need to read your companys' outline of coverage first, or call underwriting if unclear, and proceed from there.

Every med supp application I have seen asks medical questions. If client answers them as no, (which means they qualified) they usually get the coverage immediately EXCEPT if they have pre-existing conditions.

Here is where carriers differ: some will cover pre-ex immediately, and others have a waiting period of 3 or 6 months, unless client had a med supp before that.

So you need to read your companys' outline of coverage first, or call underwriting if unclear, and proceed from there.

Alright thanks. My question asked about switching from one med supp to another. The AARP app asks about end stage renal, thats all. Am I right in thinking that if you switch from one supp to another that they have to take the pre-existing immediately?

Winter

Again, the answer is no. No, unless it's a minor pre-ex like HBP or diabetic controlled by pills/diet. What does your application/company say? I always talked with the underwriters, (and still do) whenever I had a doubt, or to get clarification. They will teach you quickly, and let you know your states mandate. What state are you in? (besides confusion)

Again, the answer is no. No, unless it's a minor pre-ex like HBP or diabetic controlled by pills/diet. What does your application/company say? I always talked with the underwriters, (and still do) whenever I had a doubt, or to get clarification. They will teach you quickly, and let you know your states mandate. What state are you in? (besides confusion)
Policy Doctor -

You are wrong on this (until someone proves ME wrong). The HIPAA laws require credit for pre-ex, even on supplements. I don't think this is simply a California law.

Please give me a link where I can see any carrier will not cover pre-ex on a "take over." The pre-ex only applies if there is no prior carrier.

(By the way, I love it when you and I disagree!)

Rick

Alright thanks. My question asked about switching from one med supp to another. The AARP app asks about end stage renal, thats all. Am I right in thinking that if you switch from one supp to another that they have to take the pre-existing immediately?

Winter
You are correct. By the way, I'm still waiting for the AARP info for California. I only have it for Arizona.

Rick

Rick...Please re-read post #4.

Regards, Helen
Damn it Helen! You forced me to read EVERY word you wrote. (Of course, the original question asked stated the client had a current supplement).

We're on the same page. No pre-ex if coming from another Med Supp. By the way, pre-ex is waived if coming from an MA plan as well.

It's more fun to disagree tho....

Rick

Back