Symmetry Financial Group

SFG is downright reckless in their marketing recommendations. They encourage production and LOTS of recruiting training, but very little product training.

As soon as I was added to the GroupMe chat where every sale was sent out on blast, I knew there was a problem. From my "Agency Owner" on down, there was only maybe one or 2 sales a day. I started doing the math and felt nervous that nobody was making money. At least not on their own production. I saw my upline make 2 sales my entire time at SFG and I went on one ride along with him which was cringeworthy. And he was my go-to person. SFG strongly discourages you from going outside the chain of command so my trainer, mentor and coach was an unsuccessful producer with very little experience. This is the situation MOST people at SFG find themselves in.

In my first month, I lit up the GroupMe chat. For about a month, my name was being blasted out most days, far more than anyone else on my team. I was getting calls from my upline congratulating me, but I quickly learned the difference between written AP and issue paid AP as half of what I wrote either didn't get approved or got caught in underwriting, and since nobody above me knew what they were doing, it was trial and error for everyone. In the end, I wound up getting less than half of all the commissions I expected.

I was #34 in production on the leaderboards for the month from ALL AGENTS in ALL OF SFG that home office publishes on Facebook and I probably took home about $2,000 that month.

Granted, getting your knuckles bloodied is part of the business, but when you accept insanely low comp levels (60%), you expect some serious support and help getting apps through. Dick Sylvester, the top of our team direct to SFG, used to say on the mandatory calls that agents should NOT call them or SFG, but rather just talk to their upline.

I almost left the industry after this and only later realized there are better options out there. The level of production required just to get to 100% contracts is insane.

SFG is downright reckless in their marketing recommendations. They encourage production and LOTS of recruiting training, but very little product training.

As soon as I was added to the GroupMe chat where every sale was sent out on blast, I knew there was a problem. From my "Agency Owner" on down, there was only maybe one or 2 sales a day. I started doing the math and felt nervous that nobody was making money. At least not on their own production. I saw my upline make 2 sales my entire time at SFG and I went on one ride along with him which was cringeworthy. And he was my go-to person. SFG strongly discourages you from going outside the chain of command so my trainer, mentor and coach was an unsuccessful producer with very little experience. This is the situation MOST people at SFG find themselves in.

In my first month, I lit up the GroupMe chat. For about a month, my name was being blasted out most days, far more than anyone else on my team. I was getting calls from my upline congratulating me, but I quickly learned the difference between written AP and issue paid AP as half of what I wrote either didn't get approved or got caught in underwriting, and since nobody above me knew what they were doing, it was trial and error for everyone. In the end, I wound up getting less than half of all the commissions I expected.

I was #34 in production on the leaderboards for the month from ALL AGENTS in ALL OF SFG that home office publishes on Facebook and I probably took home about $2,000 that month.

Granted, getting your knuckles bloodied is part of the business, but when you accept insanely low comp levels (60%), you expect some serious support and help getting apps through. Dick Sylvester, the top of our team direct to SFG, used to say on the mandatory calls that agents should NOT call them or SFG, but rather just talk to their upline.

I almost left the industry after this and only later realized there are better options out there. The level of production required just to get to 100% contracts is insane.

1. Any time an agency allows new green agents to recruit other agents it is a a horrible agency for the selling agent to get involved with. There have never been any exceptions to that. Their focus is in the wrong area.

2. Low commissions is almost always going to involve incompetent training. Because you will be trained by middle men recruiters, not producers. That’s why you have low commissions. There could be exceptions to this. Like if you are working within an office or a bank location.

3. You are correct that the whole FE industry promotes “written AP” not “issued/paid AP”. Only issued business is of any good to you. New agents should always favor using companies that do immediate decisions at the point of sale interview for this reason. Oxford, Trinity/Family Benefit, RNA, Equitable, Foresters, Sentinel, American Memorial and many other companies all offer this. You want to know that you app is approved before you leave the house. That is KEY to getting off to a good start.

4. Also when you are selecting an agency to go with question your trainer about the convention trips he has earned and been on. Those are earned by issued/paid business and good persistency. That holds more clout than any other measure. Company leaderboards are credible too. Agency leaderboards are not as much.

I worked at SFG. My training was basically memorize a script, buy leads, make appointments and good luck. Im not sure how other IMOs' train but in my opinion that was awful training.

I believe i remember someone posted on either glassdoor or the insurance forums to claim that symmetry resold the same leads. I believe it to be true. I sold a policy to a couple. A month or so later someone else from sfg tried to contact them to sell them.

Similiar to what someone mentioned above when people posted their sales on group me. Most of the agents were not posting impressive numbers or what the "avg" case size of what a symmetry agent was suppose to sell according to the video we all watched.

Exactly, BUT the same business plan, which includes mass recruiting, extremely low commissions, unrealistic promotion guidelines and leads sold & resold over & over again. Not a winning combination for the unsuspecting new agent.
By extremely low commissions do you mean to say 60% is low? Have you ever looked at PHP and WFG? We are talking about 25% and 35% ! At the end of the day, this company provides agents an ability to buy leads? What a concept right? instead of friends, family and fools? So I don't know if that's a bad thing? Dial Dial dial and get the appointment. More at bats the better the opportunity to do business and make money. I mean it is that simple.

By extremely low commissions do you mean to say 60% is low? Have you ever looked at PHP and WFG? We are talking about 25% and 35% ! At the end of the day, this company provides agents an ability to buy leads? What a concept right? instead of friends, family and fools? So I don't know if that's a bad thing? Dial Dial dial and get the appointment. More at bats the better the opportunity to do business and make money. I mean it is that simple.

Yes, 60% is very low.

The ABILITY to buy leads? Every agent has the ability to go out and get their own leads or buy them, so I don't understand how this is even a factor.

I was with Symmetry. I bought hundreds of B leads in Palm Beach County. They can be good practice, and I wrote some business, but the discounted B leads can't make up for the 50% commission cut. Now I realize the best thing I've ever done is work FRESH leads. I wish I never would have started with the .50 leads being pummeled month after month as they are continuously resold to brand new agents over and over and over.

Facebook leads will run you about $20 a piece, they're almost just as fast as Symmetry's B leads, and you'll write FAR more business.

After you sell a good number of policies, you're talking about a huge amount of money that you've given away just for the privilege of working old leads....

I was with Symmetry. I bought hundreds of B leads in Palm Beach County. They can be good practice, and I wrote some business, but the discounted B leads can't make up for the 50% commission cut. Now I realize the best thing I've ever done is work FRESH leads. I wish I never would have started with the .50 leads being pummeled month after month as they are continuously resold to brand new agents over and over and over.

Facebook leads will run you about $20 a piece, they're almost just as fast as Symmetry's B leads, and you'll write FAR more business.

After you sell a good number of policies, you're talking about a huge amount of money that you've given away just for the privilege of working old leads....

Hi, where are you getting "Facebook leads from?" Do you have a good source for facebook leads? I'd love to give them a try. Why not? Can you PM me details? thx

Back