Symmetry Financial Vs Mass Mutual for a New Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my 2-15 Florida license and wanted to get some feedback on signing on with an established shop like Mass Mutual, NY Life, etc as opposed to an IMO shop like Symmetry Financial.

It would seem like MM would have more comprehensive training, as well as an agent financing program but would offer lower commissions than SFG.

Also, without a mentor in the immediate area to shadow/ go to appointments with, it may take a lot longer to learn the craft by myself.

Regarding leads:

SFG: I would imagine the monthly spend would be at least $500 if not closer to $1000 to get appointments and replace a 60K annual income.

MM: The traditional approach would be to network as well as cold-call (phone) lists, etc. which I have done before working in inside sales.

Your feedback is appreciated- thanks in advance!

I looked at SYMMETRY a while back and was disappointed. It is multi level marketing with very disposable individual agents. They claim to have a great lead system but after you sign up they tell you that you will not be allowed to buy their leads until you give them all of your email contacts and sell at least three policies to your friends and family. It is a very small company run by a few key people (who are doing very well personally). I got fed up when I could not get anyone to answer the phone at the "corporate" headquarters for a week. I think corporate headquarters is one clerk with a cell phone. I sense they are just recruiting everyone they can regardless of how saturated a particular city is, just to harvest more email contacts to use to recruit more people, an so on. I recommend you go with a major organization, or find someone willing to mentor you in a small agency.

That was my experience as well. I have since chosen a smaller agency that specializes in Medicare as well as Life, Annuities, etc. Didn't like being treated like e W2 employee at the last shop.

I just got my 2-15 Florida license and wanted to get some feedback on signing on with an established shop like Mass Mutual, NY Life, etc as opposed to an IMO shop like Symmetry Financial.

It would seem like MM would have more comprehensive training, as well as an agent financing program but would offer lower commissions than SFG.

Also, without a mentor in the immediate area to shadow/ go to appointments with, it may take a lot longer to learn the craft by myself.

Regarding leads:

SFG: I would imagine the monthly spend would be at least $500 if not closer to $1000 to get appointments and replace a 60K annual income.

MM: The traditional approach would be to network as well as cold-call (phone) lists, etc. which I have done before working in inside sales.

Your feedback is appreciated- thanks in advance!

I would say neither, if I am being honest. I was with Symmetry for quite some time, and let me tell you... NEITHER's commission is good. I worked my way to a higher contract, but if you didn't become an expert MLM recruiter, your income potential is quite limited.

To give you an idea, now, I start ALL my new agents at a 100% contract, you still get the great training, you get the great back office support and you don't have to give away commission to get that.

As far as the cold calling aspect of MassMutual, that is really tough, especially for a new agent. Leads are what keep you in business. Period.

Feel free to give me a call and I'd be happy to share with you what to look for and give any advice and tips I can.

Run away from SFG and their brethren. You'll end up funding the big wigs Italian sports cars. Egos showing off how much money they have selling you high priced worthless leads. I have an acquaintance that is a manager and agency owner. Refuse to drink his kool aid. This MGA, IMO, FMO bs system needs to be abolished. Companies should appoint independent agents direct and run MGAs, IMOs, & FMOs out of existence. Either you cut it selling or you don't. Let the MGAs, FMOs, & IMOs pound the pavement & make their own money, not piggy back off an agent's hard work for a 50/50 or 60/40 split.

Hey! U are either in a producers model or a builders model. It’s all up to what you want long term. I’ve been in the game 12+ years and 100% contracts are high on payout but low on training and support. The owner of the agency is still making 30-60% overriding you. The challenge is you can’t wvwr be in his position under “his roof.”
On the flip side, A builders model requires u to rwbeuit and build your own agency. If you don’t have strong work ethic and support from home office then you are just underpaid and overworked. Feel free to reach out if you have questions. My husband and I are looking to train and build agents here in Florida to run their own offices

And we have another MLM recruiter claiming they have the 'magic elixir of insurance sales success'. I wish they'd be more subtle or more imaginative. We've seen them all here and they don't last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back