T65 Cancelled Medicare...wants It Back

Chazm

Guru
5000 Post Club
Orlando
This may be a dumb question, but that's what we're here for, to ask them.

I met with a client last week who turns 65 in May and when he got his Medicare card in he sent it back to cancel it. When I explained to him Medicare and how he can get a MAPD plan, he decided he wants the Medicare card back.
When I called Medicare, I got a message that they were too busy and try back another time. That's why I'm here.

I'm guessing he'll just have to go his nearest SS office and tell them he wants to be on Medicare as of May 1 but I was wondering if he could do it online or call? I know you can do it online to register for the first time, but he has cancelled.

Any other suggestions?

This may be a dumb question, but that's what we're here for, to ask them.

I met with a client last week who turns 65 in May and when he got his Medicare card in he sent it back to cancel it. When I explained to him Medicare and how he can get a MAPD plan, he decided he wants the Medicare card back.
When I called Medicare, I got a message that they were too busy and try back another time. That's why I'm here.

I'm guessing he'll just have to go his nearest SS office and tell them he wants to be on Medicare as of May 1 but I was wondering if he could do it online or call? I know you can do it online to register for the first time, but he has cancelled.

Any other suggestions?

Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. Just tell them that the card was sent back in error. If they say "no", KEEP TRYING to talk with the supervisor unitl you get what you want.

Did you explain to him that refusing Medicare also means he is refusing Social Security?

The specter of government bureaucrats denying medical care to the elderly is a step closer to reality with the recent ruling by a federal judge that seniors may not disenroll from Medicare without forfeiting their Social Security benefits. Medicare, the judge determined, is a “mandatory” entitlement.

Trapped in Medicare | FreedomWorks

Definatly tell him to keep calling to get the card back. I think I also would be waiting at the social security office when they opened to tell them I nned my card back, it was a mistake.

Did you explain to him that refusing Medicare also means he is refusing Social Security?

You may forfeit SS benefits if you opt out of Part A.

The case here is about Part B. People defer Part B with no loss of the SS benefits. Getting Part B reinstated is probably going to require at least a phone call, more likely a trip to the SSA office rather than done simply on line, but it can be done.

Yeah I think the mandatory part is part A. Talked to him yesterday and told him it'll be best to stop by the SS office. He is supposed to go this morning.

You may forfeit SS benefits if you opt out of Part A.

The case here is about Part B.

The OP did not say if this was A or B, but you are correct that refusing B does not trigger a forfeiture.

Yeah I think the mandatory part is part A.

Not mandatory, but comes with a heavy penalty for refusal.

The OP did not say if this was A or B, but you are correct that refusing B does not trigger a forfeiture.

Not mandatory, but comes with a heavy penalty for refusal.

Yeah just B. I don't know why anyone would cancel part a unless they had a premium.

I don't know why anyone would cancel part a unless they had a premium.

I ran into someone about a year ago that cancelled/refused Part A. They didn't want anything to do with govt insurance.

Didn't bother him until he had to go to the hospital for surgery. His secretary called to tell me he was in the ER and needed to set up a group insurance plan for his company so he could have someone to pay for his surgery.

That didn't work out the way he expected.

I ran into someone about a year ago that cancelled/refused Part A. They didn't want anything to do with govt insurance.

Didn't bother him until he had to go to the hospital for surgery. His secretary called to tell me he was in the ER and needed to set up a group insurance plan for his company so he could have someone to pay for his surgery.

That didn't work out the way he expected.

Haha! That's awesome. I would love that call to say I told you so.

Back