T65 marketing Take II

Jon Dough

Expert
I asked a T65 question in another thread and it got all jumbled up. So start over

Three years ago I used one of the big DM houses for T65 cards. Not one sale

Two years ago I made up a SIMPLE 5 x 8 card, bought a mail list, and HAND ADDRESSED AND STAMPED them. Never got ONE call after four months. I gave it up

Last year--my buddy has a letter he mails he says gets good response---he let me use it in different areas. Again hand addressed--Not one call after three months.

One of my carriers has two offices in the Metro--they mailed invitations to T65 meetings and my buddy and I did I think six of them. Turnout was lousy and we did not get ONE enrollment.

I've spoken to every one of my carriers--and they have no clue how to reach that market.

Someone posted on here a year or so ago--all the mail he got when he turned 65--its incredible!

The few of those turning 65 I have spoken to, the responses are
* Oh GOD not another Medicare guy!!
* I am going to keep working
* My spouse is still working
* I don't know if I am going to get Part B
* I get retirement coverage
And then all the other ones--my nephew sells boat insurance etc.

Sure we can do Seminars--and invite who? If my carrier--that has an agency and a LOT more money at their disposal than two brokers cant get them in the door--how can we?

Just had a meeting with me new UHC Agent Manager (Sixth in six years) and he was with another huge carrier for 20 years--he had no idea how to reach them

I have some other things that work but---its frustrating to not be able to reach that "natural" market

So what works?

I asked a T65 question in another thread and it got all jumbled up. So start over

Two years ago I made up a SIMPLE 5 x 8 card, bought a mail list, and HAND ADDRESSED AND STAMPED them. Never got ONE call after four months. I gave it up

Last year--my buddy has a letter he mails he says gets good response---he let me use it in different areas. Again hand addressed--Not one call after three months.

One of my carriers has two offices in the Metro--they mailed invitations to T65 meetings and my buddy and I did I think six of them. Turnout was lousy and we did not get ONE enrollment.

I've spoken to every one of my carriers--and they have no clue how to reach that market.

Someone posted on here a year or so ago--all the mail he got when he turned 65--its incredible!

Sure we can do Seminars--and invite who? If my carrier--that has an agency and a LOT more money at their disposal than two brokers cant get them in the door--how can we?

Just had a meeting with me new UHC Agent Manager (Sixth in six years) and he was with another huge carrier for 20 years--he had no idea how to reach them

I have some other things that work but---its frustrating to not be able to reach that "natural" market

So what works?

First of all - stop with the whining. Seriously. You have 5 bullet points of whining about what prospects tell you. At least they talked to you - just filter them out and move on.

Your number one focus needs to be getting in front of the right prospects, whether that's on the phone or in person.

If 30 people tell me that they are still working, I won't even remember it tomorrow because you just move on. Some of these people should be in your pipeline for future follow up.

Direct Mail personalized letters can and do work. But - not just any old letter - and not on a small scale. I'd highly recommend reading anything / everything by the best copywriters out there if you plan on doing your own letters. Start with Dan Kennedy.

Also - it has to have scale. You can't send out 1,000 letters to T65 and expect more than a few calls (or 0). Really, you'll likely barely break even in FYC if you do this the right way.

My real answer to your question: What Works?

Much, much, much, much more marketing than you've done. Don't send 200 postcards and wait three months for a call to come in, realize it wan't a magic pill, then send 400 letters hoping to get someone to call you. It's just not even remotely in the realm of reality.

There are agents on here sending out 1,000 direct mail cards weekly, and others sending out thousands of letters/postcards weekly.

A few handwritten cards just will not do it.

So what works?

One more thing. Don't ask your carrier for marketing advice. They are working a salary job at an insurance company - you are an agent with high six-figure potential. If they knew how to market - they would ditch the salary job and sell med supps.

One more thing. Don't ask your carrier for marketing advice. They are working a salary job at an insurance company - you are an agent with high six-figure potential. If they knew how to market - they would ditch the salary job and sell med supps.
Apparently you didnt read my post. Thanks anyway

I haven't done DM in YEARS so take this with a grain of salt.

Two things worked better than others a few years ago.

Post card

Letter inside a hand addressed stamped envelope with no return address.

The post card either grabs their attention or it doesn't. Nothing to open. They scan your message in 5 seconds and either it clicks or it goes in the trash.

The plain envelope creates intrigue. Once they open either you grab them with an emotional letter or it goes in the trash.

And don't even think about putting a dollar bill in the envelope. Or gift cards or anything else. Just another stupid idea that does not work.

Last edited:

Yes, I did read your post. Maybe I didn't understand it?

These ^ people are working salary jobs for the carrier. If they knew how to market - they would be agents selling hundreds of supps yearly. Also - you mentioned your carrier trying to market with tons of money for their agents with low turnout.

That was my point....

I am transitioning back to targeting T65 after selling life insurance for about 15 years. Already found out it is much tougher now than in the 90's. My FMO sells TM leads so I bought 20 and in 3 weeks she has sent me 5. I was told they usually get 1 lead for 80 calls and in my area they make about 130. Just like FE people here just won't answer the phone. The few I have talked to are upset that everyone is calling just because they are turning 65. They are being bombarded just like FE. Don't know how I will proceed. Maybe postcards? Need to build my book back up because retirement is within sight and I need the renewals as a cushion.

You’re doing passive DM marketing. It’s not going to work out well. Stick with the generic DM cards that ask them to fill it out. Fat chance having them actually call you.

You can get 2.5-3% response on a generic DM t65 card. Send out 2k. Get 60 or so back. Talk to 40 of them. Set 20 appts. Sell 10 at the min. Rinse and repeat.
Also, don’t bother mailing 3 and 4 months out.

You’re welcome

You’re doing passive DM marketing. It’s not going to work out well. Stick with the generic DM cards that ask them to fill it out. Fat chance having them actually call you.

You can get 2.5-3% response on a generic DM t65 card. Send out 2k. Get 60 or so back. Talk to 40 of them. Set 20 appts. Sell 10 at the min. Rinse and repeat.
Also, don’t bother mailing 3 and 4 months out.

You’re welcome
So when do you mail them? 6 months? 60 days?

Are you doing them yourself or with a mailing house?

I promise not to mail them in Fl ;)

Back