T65 Medicare Educational Seminar

nonie

Expert
I'm thinking of doing a non-AEP Medicare educational seminar in a rural area here in Texas for the T65 market. Has anyone done this? If so, what was your experience? Please give me any pointers/suggestions.

Thanks for the reply. What is considered doing them right? Please advise? Are you sending mailer? If so, how much notice are you giving prior to the date? How many mailers for a certain level of attendance?

Since it's an educational turning 65 event are you registering it? Are you having the event at a restaurant or another location?

Any additional advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, I'm told by the some of the carriers that if it's a Medicare educational event for the turning 65 market that it doesn't need to be registered. That's why I'm asking.

Have you given any turning 65 or Medicare seminars?

Yes, I'm told by the some of the carriers that if it's a Medicare educational event for the turning 65 market that it doesn't need to be registered. That's why I'm asking. Have you given any turning 65 or Medicare seminars?
Educational seminars do not need to be registered. If you do AHIP or any of the MA or PD certification courses they'll cover the differences between educational and sales seminars, and the dos and don'ts of each. I do lots of Medicare seminars. In my case I am the invited speaker for a financial advising group or senior center. Others send out mailers and meet at the Golden Corral or other places popular with the T65 crowd. I know one FMO in Texas that will drop the mailers for you and give you the seminar materials. I have a couple of my MA contracts with them and have been offered their seminar program but haven't used it, so can't comment on its effectiveness.

Yes, I'm told by the some of the carriers that if it's a Medicare educational event for the turning 65 market that it doesn't need to be registered. That's why I'm asking.

I have given many seminars but have not found it useful to do an educational seminar in my area so I do sales only seminars.

Others on here have done Educational and have had great luck with them, hopefully they will chime in too.

You do know that you can't do any marketing including distributing plan info ,talk about plan benefits or mention any carriers name at educational events.You can only give business cards out to those who ask you for one first.Also you can't speak unless spoken to first and whatever you do don't look a senior directly in eye at an educational event.Just kidding about the last two but with all the restrictions on marketing at educational events why don't you register it so you can do marketing?

Thanks for your reply. I'm not interested in getting shopped, so I'm not registering.

I'm planning to mail invites to attendees. How much notice should I provide of the event? Would a library be just as effective as a restaurant?

How have you marketed your prior seminars?

You do know that you can't do any marketing including distributing plan info ,talk about plan benefits or mention any carriers name at educational events.You can only give business cards out to those who ask you for one first.Also you can't speak unless spoken to first and whatever you do don't look a senior directly in eye at an educational event.Just kidding about the last two but with all the restrictions on marketing at educational events why don't you register it so you can do marketing?

Last edited:
If you are talking about Part C or D plans, you have to register the event, educational or sales through one of your contracted carriers.

If you are talking about Parts A, B and Medicare supplements, you do not have to register the event. If an audience member asks about Part C or D, you can answer them in a generic format (no plan specific information).

Hope this helps...

Back