T65 Medicare Educational Seminar

This thread is so rediculous, Educational Event = No Scope. Do not mention Carriers = you are safe. Why does this have to be so difficult . You are not selling anybody the night of the seminar. Its an educational event , you do not register it is not an MAPD Sales Event.

You do seminars to build credibility with future clients. We do seminars so we do not have drive all over the state. Do the seminar then the client comes to the office. , if you have one. If not go tot heir house after. When you have an appointment thats when you need a scope if your are MAPD or PDP.

Do you put your contact info on the screen (if you're using a screen for a power point presentation)?

Or they just go to the event, find out who you are, and then call you later on to set up appointment?

---

Apparently you can't offer material for them to take home, but can you have material for them there that they can pick up themselves (like a Medicare 101 booklet, not mentioning any specific plan, it's something you create yourself)? It would be the same as the presentation, just in booklet form.

Some people may not see the screen well, it would be easier for them to follow along in a booklet in front of them.

---

I also assume you can't say how you treat your clients and the services you provide, etc. Again, not mentioning any specific plans, just how well you treat your clients.

---

BTW... these are very silly and illogical rules.

Last edited:
In all my years of doing this i have never had anybody record my seminars. If u r ab le to expain enrollment periods , who needs medicare n the rules of over 20 employees, how to enroll in medicare, the basics of med supp and mapd, and medicare you will get clients.

Yes i put my contact info on the screen of course i tell them who i am and why I do these seminars. If you are honest and you know your stuff u will get new clients. Feel free to call me if you would like.

If you are planning on talking about Part C or Part D plans at an educational event, then you have to register the event according to the interpretation of MMG.
Sample violation of this: Secret shopper at an educational event - What insurance companies offer Medicare Advantage plans? Agent - Well, there (insert carrier(s) name here). You just mentioned a carrier that the secret shopper can report this to.
The sample violation above, mentioning companies that offer plan C's is totally ridiculous. If you mention them all, and not go into any detail about any of them.....how is that mentioning anything plan specific?. It is this kind of stupid nonsense that the government, who apparently has to invent "gotcha lints to pick from" and hire people and pay them with our hard earned tax dollars who apparently have no societal utilitarian skills to offer the world to sit and listen to someone trying to make a living by offering information that is helpful to seniors, and knit-picking 1 or 2 little things they might have said, that drive any of us in this business crazy, and scares off new agents!
I realize the above was a huge run-on sentence, but that's what happens when I get pissed! :-)
I have done both types of seminars, with my very first one being a formal sales event. I got secret shopped...either by the carrier or CMS and got dinged. The specific carrier required me to spend another 2 hours doing some retarded "remedial" modules, from which I learned absolutely nothing from. When I asked them to be very specific as to what I had said or done, their replies were vague, and to this day I still don't know WTF it was I said that was non-compliant.

So...

I understand it's fine to have the event when not discussing any MAPD Plans.

If the event doesn't classify as a "regulated" event since no MAPD Plans were mentioned, then do the other rules also not apply? The rules prohibiting asking for appointments, handing out reports, etc.

Or you just put your name on the screen and wait for the prospect to call.

So...

I understand it's fine to have the event when not discussing any MAPD Plans.

If the event doesn't classify as a "regulated" event since no MAPD Plans were mentioned, then do the other rules also not apply? The rules prohibiting asking for appointments, handing out reports, etc.

Or you just put your name on the screen and wait for the prospect to call.

Educational event means you have to be asked for a biz card. It’s either a sales or educational event. It’s all on ahip

The sample violation above, mentioning companies that offer plan C's is totally ridiculous. If you mention them all, and not go into any detail about any of them.....how is that mentioning anything plan specific?. It is this kind of stupid nonsense that the government, who apparently has to invent "gotcha lints to pick from" and hire people and pay them with our hard earned tax dollars who apparently have no societal utilitarian skills to offer the world to sit and listen to someone trying to make a living by offering information that is helpful to seniors, and knit-picking 1 or 2 little things they might have said, that drive any of us in this business crazy, and scares off new agents!
I realize the above was a huge run-on sentence, but that's what happens when I get pissed! :-)
I have done both types of seminars, with my very first one being a formal sales event. I got secret shopped...either by the carrier or CMS and got dinged. The specific carrier required me to spend another 2 hours doing some retarded "remedial" modules, from which I learned absolutely nothing from. When I asked them to be very specific as to what I had said or done, their replies were vague, and to this day I still don't know WTF it was I said that was non-compliant.

U are so correct !!
Wow a breath of fresh air on this blog!!!

thx

Just go do a seminar already. You remind me of myself, over thinking this to death. You sound like a good person, trying to be careful not to break any rules, which tells me, you are probably not going to mislead people, or take advantage of them. Go do a few seminars, invest some money, learn some ins and outs, dont share all your hard earned secrets with strangers on the forum, or at least, not all of them, and go be successful. If you accidentally break a minor rule, AND get caught, you will be asked for a written explanation, so provide one and move on.

How do you get around doing "educational only" presentations for Parts C & D at lunch and learns as there's food (not snacks served) and remain compliant?

An agent in my area advertises these meetings year round in a financial advisors office .

How do you get around doing "educational only" presentations for Parts C & D at lunch and learns as there's food (not snacks served) and remain compliant?

An agent in my area advertises these meetings year round in a financial advisors office .

You can discuss the plans in a generic and general sense. There is nothing illegal about saying "HMO plans have networks; little or no premiums; usually require referrals." You just can't get specific.

I used to do MA mailings and mentioned "Plans with little or no premiums, may add dental, vision, etc." Nothing specific so no need to get permission.

Rick

Back