TAC Blog: The Life Insurance Agent as Financial Planner

DHK

RFC®, ChFC®, CLU®
5000 Post Club
Just a great article that was originally published in the Journal for Financial Service Professionals:

The Life Insurance Agent as Financial Planner

A few key lines in this blog:

First, many traditional life insurance agents are becoming financial planners, not just in title but in terms of their products, services, and fiduciary responsibilities. Second, financial planning is rapidly transitioning from a sales model to an advisory model. The regulatory, economic, and demographic factors that are driving these trends are less important than their consequences. As life insurance agents become financial planners, and as financial planners become true advisors, the whole area of insurance and risk management has the potential to be better integrated into financial planning. Insurance is no longer just a one-off in planning.

“In most cases it’s not the client’s goal to maximize wealth, but to meet his or her financial goals. This brings in the issue of failure, and failure happens when the client has unexpected losses. Add to the equation the typical client’s aversion to risk, and the need to avoid failure is compounded.”

The rest may be a thinly veiled commercial for RICP and the new WMCP, but I think it's a great article pointing out that (well-trained) insurance agents do bring a key understanding to the financial planning arena regarding risk management in retirement.

I earned the RICP through the American college..and they charge you $100 per year to "maintain" the designation with them....LAME

The designation course was very expensive, the tests were very taxing and they add insult to injury and charge you $100 per year to keep your designation.

The $100 is an annual nuisance charge to me. Im tired of being nickel and dimed constantly in this industry.

Just a great article that was originally published in the Journal for Financial Service Professionals:

The Life Insurance Agent as Financial Planner

A few key lines in this blog:

First, many traditional life insurance agents are becoming financial planners, not just in title but in terms of their products, services, and fiduciary responsibilities. Second, financial planning is rapidly transitioning from a sales model to an advisory model. The regulatory, economic, and demographic factors that are driving these trends are less important than their consequences. As life insurance agents become financial planners, and as financial planners become true advisors, the whole area of insurance and risk management has the potential to be better integrated into financial planning. Insurance is no longer just a one-off in planning.

“In most cases it’s not the client’s goal to maximize wealth, but to meet his or her financial goals. This brings in the issue of failure, and failure happens when the client has unexpected losses. Add to the equation the typical client’s aversion to risk, and the need to avoid failure is compounded.”

The rest may be a thinly veiled commercial for RICP and the new WMCP, but I think it's a great article pointing out that (well-trained) insurance agents do bring a key understanding to the financial planning arena regarding risk management in retirement.

If you can't get good or decent financial advise from your life agent you need a new life agent. One of the most important aspects of this business, is often the least stressed and the hardest to evaluate at times... the value of "ME" to my client. How much more might that be worth in premium each month?

I provide companies for their consideration, but I sell "ME". My goal is to be the value they purchase.

As I have pointed out in the past, the CFP fee while ugly, does pay for national advertising. The other designations are only known in the industry. While the test was reasonably difficult (not because of the material but because of the breadth), I now view the mark simply as a marketing expense. ..and god knows I have spent more marketing dollars on worse.

Reactions: DHK
Back