Take tests first or wait? Maybe go on my own

gogoguy

Expert
I'm new and just trying to understand all this. Is it better to take the tests for the stuff you want to sell before you get hired or after? If I have the marketing money,office,equipment,and the proven sales ability selling b2b, should I just go it alone? I live in the KC area not that I wouldn't move for the right deal. Due to a few bad choices I have gone from high 700 credit to close to bankruptcy. I'm just tired of doing our business even though the money has been ok I just got sick of it. I kind of like the not having to have employees with this deal. As a long time self employed person I see the need to good insurance for them and that is one thing that is important to me. I want to sell car,home and commercial insurance as well as health and life.
This is all so new but I learn fast. When I started in the office equipment business I knew nothing and 7 months later I was asked by the factory to be a corp. trainer for them.
Does having the license before help out getting a better offer? To me if I can't get training from the place I will work I just don't see what they will be doing besides taking money from me. What else do I need? I'm ready to make the move just don't know how...

Getting a license includes the licensing school costs, the state testing fees and the state license cost. Do you want to spend those dollars before you make any money?

So, what you want to do involves P&C as well as life and health.

I personally think you are considering biting off way more than you can chew.

You need to learn a bit about insurance before deciding exactly what areas you think you would do better in. Once you learn a bit more, you might better appreciate how complex these areas are. It isn't the same as selling office machines.

If you are good in sales, you might be able to start with a company that would be willing to train while you get licensed. Personally, I would rather have an applicant who has already demonstrated the ability to pass the testing phase.

As for going out on your own, a scattered approach and trying be be self-taught will not work, IMHO.

What do I do when the only place I find that "trains" folks is UA and talk on here is not good. The rest just say sick or swim here is a phone book. I have a few phone books here at my office already,lol. Learning about the industry is really scary how little most agents know about the business they are in :no:. If the companies don't train the people that work for them then the customer is at risk.
I live in the Kansas City area if you have any ideas. For the right deal we would move to about anywhere in the country. I've just grown to hate what I do reguardless of the money.
As far as not offering very many things up front. To me if you can't offer at least all this for me you would have no chance at my business. I want a one stop shop. So does the rest of the world. Look at Walmart, enough said...

There are companies that are interested in sales backgrounds that will train you. Here's the kicker: one that I have in mind will pay you $3,000 in living expenses for about a month's period of training. Then it is pretty much commission only and the sink or swim thing.

Other companies are total BS (read the AFLAC threads) that will burn you out and leave you broke while making the upstream people rich from your work.

This is not an easy racket to get into.

You need to work with somebody to see how it is done, what products to sell, and how the products work. Within any given company there may be a dozen or even several dozen products that will take several hours each to learn the basics.

I you are really good at sales and need to make money without investing a few years in building up clients, then you should think Life & Health and just forget Poperty & Casualty.

You should then contract with an FMO or some agency that has training and support. An organization that you can call and get advice on sales and products. If and when you get to that point, I can help you further.

Meanwhile, no FMO is going to be interested until you have a license in your state to sell life & health. Start with the classes necessary and the test before worrying too much about the rest. Again, you can't do it all --it just is not possible.

What is an FMO? I looked at the sticky and couldn't find it and hit the search but def. on it here that I can find. So I want to get my license and do my own deal or get my license and pay somone to train me?

I called a few here on this board and left my number. Not one of them has called me back. Seems like selling in this industry should be easy with service like that. You call a guy in the industry I'm in now and unless he is dead he will call you back:no:. The way I understand the lady at the State here in Kansas I need to place my license with an agent in order to technically have it after I pass the test. I guess you can't take the tests, pass them and get your paper and take it to everyone.

Are most able to make it just selling part of the insurance the customers needs? To me that is like a paint store not selling paint brushes. I would buy from the place that had the paint and the brushes myself. Am I alone in this thinking?

I was in a similar situation about 3 weeks ago. Very confused at first, but have done hours of research, here is what I came up with if it helps at all.

Health seems to be the easiest to start out with, so thats the test I am studying for now, will probably take it at the end of June. Talked with a number of different companies who will let me work under their umbrella, but still be considered indy. Of those Health Choice One was the only company with dedicated training, of which I take part every week, even though I have not taken my test yet.

They take you through everything, under writing, apps., ins and outs of different carriers etc. And they pay the same commish as if I were going direct with the carriers.

They seem to be the right fit for me, however it may not be the same for you. My suggestion would be to talk to as many companies as you can to find the right fit for you. Each person is looking for something a tad different from the next. I have empathy for you, so if I can help with the limited knowledge I have, I am more than willing. This site has helped me tremendously already. Best of luck.

Is this the place you are talking about? Health Choice One - Health Insurance, Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Denver, Colorado

So you are going solo for yourself and just having them help you get lined up various companies to represent? How are they training you? Over the net? Do you make as much % going through them? What is the catch? Sounds like a great idea so far. Do they work with foks in Every state? I live and want to work in Kansas unless we would move for a good deal. Thanks for your help. I thought with all the regulation of this industry it would be abit more above board than it appears so far.

Little hyped from the Pens triple overtime victory, but yes tis the place. Like I said, they are the right fit for me. The work in all of the lower 48 states as far as I know. Commissions are the same as going direct(i.e. humana direct for me would have been 20%, same at hco).

Training is done via webinars, it seems they have about 10 different ones a day. They also had no problem with me continueing to work my full time job until I am comfortable enough to make the move to insurance full time.

I have no official association with them as of yet, since I have not taken my test. However, I spoke with Scott, and he assured me, in writting, that if things don't work between us I am free to walk and take my business with me. The last part is sort of hard to come by from what I found.

No catches that I found, but again they are a fit for me, you may be different. I have been in sales for 8 years now, I really just need training, and they are providing it, so it works for me.

Like I said I have very limited(if any) knowledge of this industry so far, but I have nothing but good things to say about them. Someone else may say different, but for me it works.

Wow! Scott's deal looks great! I as well just need to product training. If I can stay working for abit that would work great as well. Why doesn't eeryone just go through him? I don't really see a reason not to at least at this point. I might have some time in the afternoon to call him and check things out.
I've just been putting togehter a marketing list getting ready for when I have a handle on something:laugh:. Thanks again for your help. Seems like his site should be a sticky here.

Back