Talkative prospects. How to get back on track

senior-advisor-indiana

Guru
5000 Post Club
Indiana
How do you guys stop a prospect from preaching for 2 hours or talking about something else. I have sat in front of people for 45 minutes before just listening to them. I thought if I was nice enough to listen that long they would listen to me and buy. Definetly not the case. What a waste of time.

when they stop for a breath of air say something like Yeah that's right,oh by the way this med. supp pays your part A and part B

How do you guys stop a prospect from preaching for 2 hours or talking about something else. I have sat in front of people for 45 minutes before just listening to them. I thought if I was nice enough to listen that long they would listen to me and buy. Definetly not the case. What a waste of time.

I ask them politely for a jack and coke or if they are affluent, a cigar and JW Gold Label, then I help myself to their fridge...

LOL . I figured they would think I was rude for interupting. How the hell did't I get the sale? Don't ask me, I guess they didnt like me Or they just wanted me to come over to preach to me.

If they want to say something during your presentation listen for about 15 seconds and say, "That is very interesting, let's see I believe I was explaining the hospital benefits", or what ever.

You cannot let the prospect take control of the conversation. Keep your presentation interesting, don't pause too long between comments, and don't ask them questions like, "Doesn't that sound like a great benefit?" As soon as you start doing that you run the risk of losing control.

Once you let them take control it is very difficult to get it back again and the longer you wait the more difficult it is. Know ahead of time what objections they are most likely to come up with and include answers to those in your presentation.

I don't want my prospects to talk after I start my "dog and pony" show. If I sense they are not paying attention I move the piece of paper they are looking at back and forth and circle something on the page.

A little conversation before I start to make them feel at ease and get some information is good. However, I don't let them get very far from the subject though.

It is not rude to "help them stay on track". After all, aren't you there to help them make an intelligent, well informed decision?

Actually, I like Salpro's answer better, sounds like a lot more fun.

Last edited:
A little trick I learned many, many years ago from the greatest salesman I ever worked for (H. Ross Perot.) When someone starts a spiel and you can sense it is going to go on and on, simply look at your watch for about two seconds (which is actually a long time... try it... they WILL notice it) and then interrupt and say "John I understand what you are saying. What conclusion are you coming to." They immediately cut right to the end. This never fails me.

Al
www.insurancesolutions123.com

Are you guys saying these things to seniors? I am 27 years old. I think If i say those things I am screwed. O well I guess I'm not getting the sale anyway, so I will try it. I cant wait to follow up and tell you the horror story after I use these.

A lot of it will be them keying off your mannerisms. If you fall for that "warm up" crap they teach new sales recruits where you have to first find areas of interest then you've opening the door.

I'm all about a polite introduction but then getting down to business. I think more people appreciate just discussing the matter at hand.

I like conversational type selling and most seniors(at least here in the south)do.If you have to listen to an old timer talk about what it was like in the good ol days to make a few hundred dollars,so be it.

Back